Michael Otterman on the Human Costs of the War in Iraq

Monday, July 26, 2010

Michael Otterman discusses the human costs of the war the United States and its allies have been waging in Iraq, and specific matters that the mainstream media tend to downplay or ignore altogether. Erasing Iraq: The Human Costs of Carnage, written by co-writers Richard Hil and Paul Wilson, features in-depth interviews with Iraqi refugees in the Middle East and in Western countries to in order to give a comprehensive account of the Iraqi people's struggle.

Michael Otterman

Roy Zornow from East Village

Thank you for broadcasting this segment. Years ago, Madeleine Albright spoke on "60 Minutes" about the 500,000 children under 5 who died as a result of sanctions and our actions in Iraq. Her words were: "I think it was worth it".

We remain willfully ignorant of the massive pain and suffering we have caused. We feel uniquely attacked through 9/11 and cling to that. Today on "The Brian Lehrer Show" a listener asked Tony Finkel, author of "The Good Soldier" why he chose to write a book about the suffering of U.S. soldiers, rather than Iraqi civilians. His response was that he was just showing one small piece of the larger picture. The fact is that it's much more comfortable to write and think about our soldiers being brave (and by the way if we think so we should back them up with psychoogical support when they get back) than the unpleasant fact that we have killed and maimed so many innocent people.

Aug. 12 2010 06:13 PM
Mike from Inwood

Taher from Croton on Hudson
So long Mike From Inwood, here is where I leave you. Enjoy your hate stew. Enjoy.

Hate is not coursing through my veins. Enjot your Baathist life here in the US. Good-bye.

Jul. 26 2010 02:03 PM
Taher from Croton on Hudson

Jul. 26 2010 01:43 PM
Mike from Inwood

Taher from Croton on Hudson
Yes Mike From Inwood, many Nazis of old were hung.

Some of us are willing to die for what we believe in instead of fleeing to avoid the consequences of our past. Like the Baathist refugees, for example.

Jul. 26 2010 01:37 PM
Taher from Croton on Hudson

Yes Mike From Inwood, many Nazis of old were hung.

Jul. 26 2010 01:33 PM
Mike from Inwwod

Taher from Croton on Hudson
Mike From InWood, thanks much for coming out of the closet with your rightist, Neo-Nazi views.,

If my views are neo-Nazi, I will proudly don my brown shirt and wave the Swastika flag.

Jul. 26 2010 01:25 PM
Mike from Inwood

Henry Escobar from Elizabeth, NJ

"If I were trying to justify anything, I would not imply it. I would state it explicitly."

Again and then, why you keep implying that im from Venezuea with the "move back to.." Dorothy? U_U

I do it to annoy you. Isn't that obvious?

Jul. 26 2010 01:23 PM
Taher from Croton on Hudson

Jul. 26 2010 01:18 PM
Henry Escobar from Elizabeth, NJ

Jul. 26 2010 01:16 PM
Mike from Inwood

I never condoned the military actions taken by the Reagan administration against any country in South America. Just as I never condoned any US invasion of a Middle Eastern country, either. Or Afghanistan. But ignorant Henry just lumps me into this and only hears what he expects. I guess we Americans all look alike to you. Move back to Venezuela, Henry. Help Chavez fight the good fight.

Jul. 26 2010 01:10 PM
Mike from Inwood

As for Henry's original statements about South America (completely unrelated to the discussion of the Middle East) he fails to mention the shoulder-held Swedish anti-aircraft missle found amoug captured FARC (sheltered in Venezuela) articles that had been sold to the Venezuelan government (known by the serial number on it) or the laptops found in the FARC camps a short distance across the Venezuelan border with emails and other documents showing Chavez's financial support for the FARC. I guess we're always the most paranoid about the crimes we commit being commited against us as Chavez is always prattling on about an imminent invasion and justifying the seizure of property and media and the imprisoning of political opponents to safe guard the country from foriegners. Sounds almost like... The red scare of the 1950s in the US! Henry: you have met the enemy and you're looking the mirror.

Jul. 26 2010 01:05 PM
Henry Escobar from Elizabeth, NJ

You just imply that im from Venezuela you dumb truck... zzZZzzZzz.

But ok, listen, the governmental decisions that create these disasters, don't have anything to do with the way of life or the people that live here
(since both 'nationalist' Mike & John -who are probably the same person- just called me an immigrant -hypocritically- that "has it good here");
nor with the culture -believe it or not-.

Furthermore, immigration (from latin-america) is just another backfire of the same foreign policy i've been talking about.

Don't believe me? Research the Iran-Contra scandal and then, look at your "statistics" of central american migration after "our freedom fighters' " campaign.

Oh, and it just so happens that a dooocuumeentt has beeeennn released of our civilian murderers in afganista (yawning while typing).... so yeah Mike/Joh.

I love you too ;)

Jul. 26 2010 01:04 PM
Mike from Inwood

Taher from Croton on Hudson whines: "Taher from Croton on Hudson
Mike from Inwood, is this the best you can do is to tell some one love it or leave it. Brilliant thinking. It takes a genius come up with that."

Apparently, it's a genius I share with the rest of the world. I can't move to most countries in the world and I don't want them here. And that would probably include you. As for 'Henry', I think his arguments are as lame as yours, but I won't call you a genius.

Jul. 26 2010 12:57 PM
Taher from Croton on Hudson

Jul. 26 2010 12:52 PM
Mike from Inwood

Henry move back to Venezuela where you belong.

Jul. 26 2010 12:48 PM
Mike from Henry

Henry Escobar -

If I were trying to justify anything, I would not imply it. I would state it explicitly. The numbers of dead Iraqi civilians is a big question mark. Attributing all of them to the US as opposed to the internal divisions among Iraqis, is morally lame.

I was not in faor of this war before, during or after it happened. There is no way to put things back together and no way to 'make it right'. The US should just withdraw immediately from Iraq and afghanistan and let the cips fall where they may. These refugees were happy as clams when they were the beneficiaries of the previous political and economic relationships under Saddam Hussein.

The borders of Iraq, and who is an Iraqi is also a matter of colonisalism. The Kurds in the north never wanted to be a part of a country with the Arabs in the south. Dividing the Kurds' land between Iraq, Iran, Turkey and Syria makes them the largest ethnic group in the world without a homeland and an eternal source of strife and violence.

Jul. 26 2010 12:46 PM
Henry Escobar from Elizabeth, NJ

And the arrogant ignorant stood up: John & Co.

Jul. 26 2010 12:45 PM
Taher from Croton on Hudson

John from the office, you need to see a therapist or and a clergyman to find out why you’re such a US type of Fascist.

Jul. 26 2010 12:45 PM
John from office

Escobar, planes leave every day out of this hell hole. Please flee. No you won't, because you have it good here. Useful idiots.

Jul. 26 2010 12:40 PM
Meg Olsen from Savannah, GA

While your guest is absolutely correct that we should remain aware of the human toll of this protracted & mismanaged conflict, he seems only to be full of critique. Beyond the US accepting more refugees, does he have any solutions to offer? Does he suggest that removal of all US personnel would resolve the issues he highlights?

Jul. 26 2010 12:35 PM
Henry Escobar from Elizabeth, NJ

'Mike' & 'Joh',

Please... Get a hold of yourselves.

What are you trying to justify?
If you admit to be proud of yet another
CRIMINAL chapter of our imperialistic history, i'd have more respect for you.

zzZZzzzzzZzz sleepy arguments.

Jul. 26 2010 12:33 PM
Taher from Croton on Hudson

Thank you for getting this book out. It’s important to let the American people know what horrors the US government has committed, in their name, in Iraq.
Though I don’t think the American public give rats behind.

Jul. 26 2010 12:30 PM
Mike from Inwood

Because I study statistics, I paid careful attention to the statistical techniques used by Iraq Body Count and others who've attempted to estimate the number of dead Iraqi civilians. While the statistical clustering technique he refers to is legitimate, they number of clusters they used was not great enough to avoid an incredibly large margin of error. This was widely criticized at the time, hence Mr. Otterman's defensive, "a technique endorsed by the US government". Of course, Len did not do enough homework ask the right questions and can only allow this guy to spout on.

Jul. 26 2010 12:27 PM
John from office.

Len, please do a softer interview.

What about the homocide done under the Hussain reign, of him and his sons.

Jul. 26 2010 12:12 PM
Henry Escobar from Elizabeth, NJ

And thus, we see the result of greed and lying in our need of empire.

Yet another display of the "Weapons of Mass Destruction" tactic was shown last Thursday July 15 in the OAS' assembly..,

...when the ambassador of Colombia showed pictures, videos, and coordinates of the supposed colombian guerrilla camps in Venezuela.
He only missed the little container of anthrax, that Powell held in his hand at the security council. It was exactly the same crap.

Is sh*t like these that should sicken ourselves,
and call for a world sit down to stop this push to suicide led by the stupidity of 'manifest destiny'.

We'll agree to a Venezuelan territory inspection -said the ambassador of that country-, if an inspection to the 7 U.S. military bases in Colombia takes place at the same time.

This particular U.S. led conflict in S.América, can also throw a horrendous human cost.
And could be the beginning of the end.

Jul. 26 2010 11:04 AM