Volunteer Match: Kids and Families

Thursday, July 22, 2010

All this month we're highlighting volunteer opportunities in our listening area. Greg Baldwin, president of VolunteerMatch, discusses how you can help. This week we look at opportunities for kids and for families.

→ Explore the VolunteerMatch Database: Google Earth Map | Listings

→ We'll list the opportunities mentioned on-air on the BL Show blog, and ask you to report back on your work.

Greg Baldwin
News, weather, Radiolab, Brian Lehrer and more.
Get the best of WNYC in your inbox, every morning.

Karen Marshall from Tonawanda, New York

When our children were young we would play games with the residents at a nursing home. Mr. Baldwin's remarks have inspired me to think of ways that our grandchildren could get involved more...and me too!!!! I plan to listen again next week. The comments were worth reading to hear how people, young and old, have volunteered in unique ways.

Jul. 26 2010 09:49 PM
Hesch_from_Brooklyn from the LES

I am leaving tomorrow morning to volunteer with my little boy, and my two girls, and my youngest girls sweetie, and my wife, to volunteer at the Falcon Ridge Folk Festival in Hillsdale, (east central) NY. The kids & I have been volunteering for 8 years here, and for 16 years at Pete Seeger's Clearwater's Great Hudson River Revival held on Father's Day weekend in Croton Point Park, Westchester, NY.

Jul. 22 2010 11:07 AM
Eric from NJ

The 500 hours I did at Elijah's Promise Soup Kitchen in New Brunswick was the best experience of my life... I highly recommend it! I saw families do it, I saw families receive it.

Jul. 22 2010 11:00 AM
Michael Cammer from ny

Many of the positions people volunteer for should be paid positions. This would greatly reduce unemployment.

Jul. 22 2010 10:59 AM
Roman from Brooklyn

My son and I started going to clean up the beach in Jamaica Bay when he was about 3 and a half. We did it again last year when he was 4 and we're looking forward to doing it again this year. It's a great way to get close to nature and to teach kids what happens to the things we throw away and the consequences of our choices.

Jul. 22 2010 10:58 AM
Bill

When I was too old for summer daycare but apparently too young to stay home alone, I was volunteered to be a volunteer at the VA hospital where my grandmother volunteered (for more than thirty years) working in blind rehab. I was assistant to one of the hospital electricians and had lots of fun knocking holes in walls with him for new wiring, squeezing into narrow parts of electrical closets to pull down wires he (and the other electricians) couldn't easily reach, putting new colored thimble-sized covers on lights in a psych ward whose inmates kept taking them, getting paid in lunch daily at the cantine.... It was a good experience for sure.

Jul. 22 2010 10:56 AM
Roman from Brooklyn

My son Soren and I started going to clean up the beach when he was about 3 and a half. And we did it again last year when he was 4. We're looking forward to doing it again this year. It's a great father and son trip, usually to Jamaica Bay. The clean up usually occurs in September. It's a great way to get close to nature and to teach kids about the stuff we throw away and what happens to it if it isn't disposed of properly, recycling, etc.

Jul. 22 2010 10:54 AM
Heather Langsner from Williamsburg

Thanks so much for this topic today! I've been really trying to find something to do, especially that is outdoors, that I could involve my 3 year old in. Helping out pulling weeds and raking leaves in a park might be good. Or helping tutoring. I speak Spanish too.

Jul. 22 2010 10:49 AM