Stieg Larsson’s Trilogy

Monday, July 19, 2010

It is unprecedented for a series of posthumous works in translation to reach number one around the world, but that’s what’s happened with Stieg Larsson’s trilogy The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, The Girl Who Played with Fire, and The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet’s NestSonny Mehta, Chairman and Editor-in-Chief of Knopf Doubleday Publishing Group and Stieg Larsson’s editor and publisher in America, and Paul Bogaards Executive Vice President and Executive Director of Publicity for Knopf Doubleday, discuss the publication, success, and marketing of Stieg Larsson’s books.

Paul Bogaards and Sonny Mehta
News, weather, Radiolab, Brian Lehrer and more.
Get the best of WNYC in your inbox, every morning.

mm

It is just a good read -- dont' get too serious about it. The books kept me turning the page. It is just entertainment.

Oct. 09 2010 09:10 PM
Peter from Manhattan

Can ypu discuss parallels between Stieg and Per Wahloo and Maj Sjowall

Jul. 19 2010 01:55 PM
Maria from NYC

At first glance, the cover of the Dragon Tattoo reminds me of that of "Bangkok 8".

Jul. 19 2010 01:55 PM
dage

why was the violence against women such a great part of the movie? it sensationalized what was part of the book and really ruined the movie for me. seeing women raped and beaten is in no way entertaining. that violence could have been referred to without living through it for what seemed like an eternity.

Jul. 19 2010 01:52 PM
troy from carroll gardens

my wife and i are reading the first and second books, respectively, and are VERY excited to hear this piece. and yes, we look like huge dorks reading the books side-by-side at the beach.

all that said...can you all work out some sort of alarm system or yell 'SPOILER ALERT' super-loud or even just hoot and/or holler prior to giving away any big plot points?

skål!

Jul. 19 2010 01:30 PM
Dorothy from Manhattan

I saw the 1 hour Charlie Rose program with Mr. Mehta and the Swedish publisher. So I bought the first book -- By the time I was half way through I was mesmerized and ordered books 2 and 3 from Amazon. But the denouement of book 1 was unbelievable and bizarre. Then the short story about the bonds kicks in, coming out of nowhere. No way I want to read 2 more of these coffee obsessed books. A couple of days later my Amazon order arrived. Amazon took the books back and issued a refund. I simply don't understand the mania over these books -- anyone want to buy a tulip bulb?
How Andy Warhol would laugh at the whole thing -- the books and the mania over them.
Yes, I know the woman in the movie is wonderful. I don't care.

Jul. 19 2010 12:06 PM