Independent Bookstore Week Events on Tap

Monday, November 16, 2009

bookstoreweek
As we roll into the sixth day of Independent Bookstore Week (11 days actually) there are still plenty of events to check out. Grab some free food, take part in photo scavenger hunt, or attend readings, lectures, and costume parties.... There are too many events to list in full. Check out the Independent Booksellers of NYC for all the details and a complete calendar of events.

And we'd like to hear from you. Where is your favorite independent bookstore -- and why? Post comments below.

Here WNYC's Brian Lehrer speaks with Marva Allen, managing partner of Hue-Man Bookstore in Harlem, Christine Onorati, owner of WORD bookstore in Greenpoint, and Sarah McNally, owner of McNally Jackson bookstore on Prince Street.

And a list of their recommendations can be found here.

Tags:

More in:

Jamila

I am a fan of Brownstone Books in the Stuyvesant Heights section of Brooklyn, on the border of Bedford Stuyvesant. In addition to the books we all love, this shop supports the community with events like writing workshops and children's storytime. There is not a business like it within walking distance so it's quite a treasure here.

Nov. 21 2009 12:35 AM
Martha

St. Marks's, Shakespeare's, Posman's, McNally Jackson, Three Lives, Idlewild (and all the others mentioned here): Why ever shop at a chain if we have these wonderful havens in our own neighborhoods? Let's do all we can to keep them open!

Nov. 20 2009 01:40 PM
NYC Indie Bookstore Handsell « Independent B

[...] Books), and Christine Onorati (of WORD) talked about indie bookstores and their favorite titles on WNYC’s Brian Lehrer Show. You can listen to the segment and see a list of all the books they [...]

Nov. 18 2009 10:07 AM
Maury

Skyline Books on 18th Street between 5th & 6th Avenues in Manhattan. Skyline might be the last of its kind! A classic used bookstore with a huge collection of excellent titles at affordable prices. Also, a wonderful selection of rare and signed volumes, some of which I salivate over and can only dream about owning. Honestly and sadly, going into Skyline is like going into a time machine, because although there used to be many such places around, now it is just one of a tiny handful.

Nov. 17 2009 01:15 PM
Ben

This probably isn't the place to eulogize my favorite independent bookstores but unfortunately, most of my favorites have disappeared.

My favorite of all time was Prairie Avenue Bookstore in Chicago. Their loss is mitigated by the fact that I had moved to NYC as they were shutting their doors. It is still a great loss and I have never found anything that compares to it, even in New York.

Nov. 17 2009 01:11 PM
Penny & Orie & Bunny

Definitely the Community Bookstore on 7th Avenue in Park Slope is the place to go. Simply our favorite bookstore of all time.

Nov. 17 2009 01:06 PM
Teresa

Inquiring Mind Bookstore in Saugerties, New York. Great space for reading, wifi and a local author reading series that features big names and big talent. A wonderful place in a small town.

Nov. 17 2009 01:04 PM
Jennifer

Community Bookstore on 7th Ave in Park Slope. Fantastic selection of literary fiction and magazines. Places to sit and read. Back room with large selection of children's books ... more places to sit. Just very cozy and welcoming, including an older pooch that loves his belly scratched.

Nov. 17 2009 11:22 AM
Linda Plotkin

For me, Three Lives Bookstore has been a warm, treasured refuge for many years. I order most of my books from them, rather than from Amazon, for the pleasure of browsing there among friends, as well as to help insure their survival.

Nov. 17 2009 11:06 AM
Harry Matthews

Book Court on Court Street in Cobble Hill. This is a classic local store: an eclectic stock, emphasizing local authors and local interest; a knowledgeable staff; a well-planned series of local events. I've never been disappointed here.

And while I am loath to criticize a fellow commenter, I must point out that the Community Book Store (a totally admirable institution) is on Seventh Avenue in Park Slope.

Nov. 17 2009 02:32 AM
Steve Giovinco

St. Marks bookstore--I've been a customer for years although I go there less, back in the day when it was actually on St. Marks Place (its around the corner now on 9th Street).

Nov. 16 2009 10:12 PM
Shira

The brand new bookstore in Ft. Greene! Such a great new addition to the neighborhood. It's a beacon of light on a previously dark corner.

Greenlight Bookstore
686 Fulton Street @ South Portland

Nov. 16 2009 05:17 PM
Jennifer R

I too love Three Lives, and also The Corner Bookstore on 93rd and Madison and Crawford Doyle on Madison and 83rd. All 3 have what I love about independent bookstores-a carefully curated inventory due to space limitations, knowledgeable staff who are avid readers and can always point you in the direction of a book that would be perfect for you (good luck with that at Barnes & Noble), and small, intimate spaces that encourage lingering. I would be bereft if any of these were to close.

Nov. 16 2009 05:13 PM
Luis A. Colon

I have been in love with Three Lives & Co. on W.10th & Waverly for years. It is
an old fashioned bookstore where you are free to browse at your leisure, they have readings and signings and they play classical music softly plus the staff is charming, knowledgeable and
very helpful.

Nov. 16 2009 03:32 PM
clay kaintock

Community Book Store on Court Street in Brooklyn. It's like you are in the basement of an uncle who has great taste in literature. They are just keeping the order at bay. One loud car horn might mix up the entire inventory. For me, that's the only way the store could improve.

Nov. 16 2009 03:01 PM