Primary Night Results

Tuesday, September 15, 2009

The Associated Press has called the New York City Democratic Mayoral Primary Race for William Thompson.
More>>

Cy Vance has won the Democratic primary for the Manhattan district attorney.
More>>

Bill de Blasio and Mark Green head for a runoff in the Public Advocate race.
More>>

John Liu has a slight lead over David Yassky in the tight Democratic race for New York City comptroller, but it does not appear Liu has enough votes to avoid a runoff.
More>>

In city council races across the five boroughs, there were a few upsets. Incumbent Alan Gerson of Lower Manhattan was unseated by longtime community leader Margaret Chin.
More>>

Listen to Brian Lehrer's Primary Night Special
More>>

Tags:

More in:

sabrina

I got to the polls in Brooklyn around 8:30pm it was very empty, Sorry to say that not all my candidates WON-but I look forward to her Running AGAIN and WINNING!! Best to ALL-looking forward to promises being kept.

Sep. 16 2009 11:08 AM
Mark flynn

As a registered democrat with a libertarian perspective I am not impressed by the dogmatic democrats who vote in off year elections. I'm assuming most are committed voters who are committed to turn out at the polls. Why these same voters are motivated to impose term limits on candidates rather than trust voters to turn out office holders by the ballot process is baffling. Kudos for this core group that actually makes the effort to vote, but at the end of the day their vote does not advance a progressive agenda, but instead wreaks of an angry mob no different in tempermant than the devotees of Lou Dobbs and Sean Hannity.

Sep. 15 2009 11:19 PM
Amy from Manhattan

I voted between 7:30 & 8 pm; I was the 84th person to vote at the machine I used. There were 6 or 7 machines, so I can estimate a total of 500-600 votes cast at my polling place.

I voted so late because I didn't have much time during the lead-up to do the kind of research I wanted to on the candidates, so I ended up spending a chunk of time in the afternoon chasing down info on the Web. I didn't find all that I wanted, but I felt better about the basis for my choices afterwards. (I'd heard some of the debates & Brian's candidate interviews, but I still had q's.)

Sep. 15 2009 11:06 PM
Steven

Two corrections, the local news report at the 10:00 said that Brad Lander was leading in Yassky's old district,the 39th. The 39th is DeBlasio's old seat. The 33rd is Yassky's district.

Poll workers don't just get doughnuts. They are not volunteers, they get paid

Sep. 15 2009 10:28 PM
Adria

I voted in november but not today. I did not vote even though I'm really disgusted with NY politics. I'm disgusted with the recent coup and the absurdities that ensued, and I'm disgusted generally by the inertia in legislative bodies. Why? Because I received no info about the primary and had no knowledge about it until I heard about it on the radio last night! With no knowledge about the candidates, I didnt feel voting was reasonable. I think the media failed here. Local elections are far more important than how people tend to value them and I think the people need to be educated about that! Especially when a primary is coming up! The only ones who can do that are the media and the government.

Sep. 15 2009 09:44 PM
George

Where can I view or watch the election returns/numbers come in? I can't access NY1 at this time.

Sep. 15 2009 09:42 PM
Elizabeth

And yeah, poll workers get paid... (or at least a whole lot of them do)

Sep. 15 2009 09:40 PM
Stefan

I voted for Norm who seems to be the most likely candidate to stand up to the all powerful Bloomberg.
Owning a media empire almost guarantees victory, and Norman Siegel will be able to represent those whose voices are not always be heard.

Sep. 15 2009 09:39 PM
Elizabeth

I voted in Manhattan. I researched a bit to cast votes in each race, but I was primarily (pun intended) motivated by the DA's race. I work with individuals who are prosecuted by the Manhattan DA (I'm on the other side), and I feel this vote is one of the most important I'll cast this year - maybe these few years. Voting for Obama was symbolic and exhilarating, but voting for a change (hopefully) in the DA's office to a more progressive, alternative to incarceration and reentry oriented office (not to mention just better organized) - that could have a real and fairly immediate effect on people in this city.

Sep. 15 2009 09:38 PM
Phillip

Poll workers are not "volunteers". They get paid, not much but for both my mother and my mother-in-law it is a nice source of "mad money". Be nice, they have just a little training.

Sep. 15 2009 09:35 PM
Kitty Skrobela

Me again: poll workers get paid - they don't do it for doughnuts! Some of them count on that pay and push to be allowed to work.

Sep. 15 2009 09:33 PM
nona in the bronx

since we can't know the future...how can we be sure it won't be an important election?

i heeded brian's admonition to study the candidates...i only had heard parts of earlier interviews and did not feel the candidates were terribly distinct. taking the time to study up a) made me feel like i really was participating b) made it easier to decide who i wanted to vote for, because having more information cut through the wall of campaign sound.

i love voting...it makes me giddy.
not too many people were voting at my polling place in the bronx. one poll worker seemed nostalgic for november '08.

i'm so upset about mired health care reform, in retrospect, maybe voting in the primary is a momentary relief from my anxiety.

Sep. 15 2009 09:32 PM
Freddie Z

I voted today but I think many did not because they didn't realize that today is the real decider for so many races. If it was say, the first Tuesday in November people may have payed more attention.

Sep. 15 2009 09:28 PM
Kitty Skrobela

I voted in Brooklyn. I'm like the woman who said that it's just something you do. Thinking about the national election last November when the line was around the block - so different! I love voting though & the feeling I get when the voters smile at each other on their way in & out of the polls. My neighborhood consists of people who are all so different from each other and yet come together to figure out how we want things to go, even though sometimes we disagree with each other.

Sep. 15 2009 09:19 PM
Michael Scott

I voted for each office except District Attorney because the candidates were not included in the Voters Guide that was mailed to me. The last primary I pulled the lever for "no one" in protest because there was no voter guide. I need a bio and platform to make my decision not a mailbox full of fliers and a answering machine full of endorsements.

Sep. 15 2009 09:17 PM
Sam

Isn't there a law prohibiting the solitican of votes within a certain distance of a voting station? Robert Jackson, District 7 Council member broke that law, or certainly came close at 137th & Riverside.

Sep. 15 2009 09:15 PM
Debra Kaufman

I voted in Prospect Heights, Bkln tonight at 7PM and the gym was empty. There was no line and I was only #82 in my election district. The workers looked utterly bored! I couldn't believe the difference between my experience tonight and when I voted in the Presidential election back in November when there was a line around the block and the gym was a crowded, noisy zoo. It was a little depressing.

Sep. 15 2009 09:14 PM
Emily

I did vote in November but not for this primary. Not at all intentionally, though. I was very excited about this primary, but I'm away at school and didn't receive an absentee ballot, despite requesting one.

It does make me sad to think that so many people are't voting, but I think that the Mayor's budget for the election is one very important factor, and it's interesting to think about.

Sep. 15 2009 09:14 PM
George

I will make a prediction for election night: the Democrats will win big.

Sep. 15 2009 08:58 PM
MoNYC

Hello,

Will this special be taped and made available as a podcast?

Thanks for the great coverage!

++++++++++++++++

Hello MoNYC!
Yes, Brian Lehrer's Primary Night Special will be available on demand as a downloadable MP3
WNYC Web Team

Sep. 15 2009 08:28 PM
Michael

How do we watch/listen?

++++++++++++++

Hi Michael,
The special will be streamed live at WNYC.org or tune in to AM 820 or FM 93.9 from 9PM to 11PM.
Thanks!