Episode 1 -- Introduction

« previous episode | next episode »

Monday, November 30, 2009

An overview of the incredible Loft story. (Originally aired November 16, 2009)

The discovery of the tapes, the research that followed, revelations from members of the Loft community and a sampling of the variety of tape recorded by W. Eugene Smith (his cats meowing; great players jamming; musicians talking).

The Jazz Loft Project Radio Series was supported in part by a grant from The National Endowment for the Humanities; and by an award from The National Endowment for the Arts.

W. Eugene Smith

Christina Rodriguez from Wichita, Kansas

This is an Interesting book with some wonderful surprises. I particularly enjoyed reading the recording of Edward R Murrow’s television program that included a round table discussion on art and culture with Tennessee Williams, Yukio Mishima, and Dilys Powell. -Christina Rodriguez photographer

Apr. 26 2011 01:45 PM
Christopher N from brooklyn ny

Podcast or download Please!!!
I'll listen to them all this way. This will expand your audience manifold. A good few would pay for this convenience (including myself.)

Aug. 13 2010 01:29 PM
D. Divine

I discovered this series late last year on NPR's "Weekend Edition," and recently purchased the book. I'd very much like for this series, or at least excerpts, to be released commercially on CD. This is an excellent series!

Feb. 21 2010 04:06 PM
Jeremy from Manhattan

Did I happen to hear the Notre Dame Fight Song during one of the clips in this show? I can't remember which night I was listening, but my ears immediately picked up when that familiar tune was played in the background. Loved it . . .

Feb. 05 2010 12:18 PM
mark Trottenberg

Thanks to Sara for a great piece, it brings back an era when Manhattan regularly nourished great music and art in all sorts of nooks and crannies. That is something we are sadly missing in these strange times.

Jan. 13 2010 08:34 PM
Richard Mitnick from Highland Park, NJ

One can listen to all of it on line, one episode at a time.

Cheers

Dec. 27 2009 05:04 PM
Ray from NY

Ugh... I just got hip to this and missed all the broadcasts.

Will it be run again?

Dec. 27 2009 12:04 AM
Ralf Beuschlein

Great production/project!
Love Sara Fishko's voice.

But, in the spirit of Eugene Smith, this cries to be made available as a podcast !!!

Dec. 09 2009 05:15 AM
Carl VanKell from East Rutherford NJ

I just finished "The Jazz Loft Project" book. Could not put it down till i was finished-thank you, thank you, thank you, Sam. Brought back lots of memories (good, and bad) from the 60's, and my love of Jazz from that time

Dec. 02 2009 11:04 AM
Marjorie Van Halteren from Northern France

Sara, this is fantastic - thank you! Marjorie Van Halteren

Nov. 28 2009 05:19 PM

Natalie,

There is no specific segment devoted to Lennie Tristano, but you can check out this episode to hear a little bit about him: http://beta.wnyc.org/shows/jazz-loft/2009/nov/21/

Nov. 23 2009 10:48 AM

Joep,

The Jazz Loft Project Radio Series is not available for download or podcasting. The only way to hear it is on air or streaming online. Additional audio can be heard online at www.jazzloftproject.org.

Nov. 23 2009 10:45 AM
Joep van Leeuwen from Maastricht, Holland

Great stuff! Is there a way to down load these radio programs for me to archive? Joep

Nov. 22 2009 05:35 PM
Natalie Rae from Huntington, L.I.

I was a student of Lennie Tristano's which
took place in his studio at 317 E. 32nd St...and named after the chart of the same name. I was his first jazz vocal student....even before Sheila Jordan. I understand you have a segment which talks about Lennie. I'd love to see-hear it!
Thanks and good luck.
Natalie Rae

Nov. 21 2009 09:50 AM
Steven Kuhn from Briarcliff Manor, NY

I have been a big fan of Sara's going on years now. This radio project just shows again, how talented she is. Great material and a fascinating rendition of Gene Smith's work and life in NYC. Can't wait for the next installment.

Nov. 19 2009 08:39 AM