GRILLED TURKEY-VEGETABLE STACK WITH ORANGE-GARLIC MARINADE
Thursday, June 20, 2002
1 unseasoned Butterball Boneless Breast of Turkey Roast (2 to 2-1/2 pounds) Orange-Garlic Marinade, divided (recipe follows) 3 zucchini, cut on the bias into ¼-inch slices 1 large red onion, peeled and cut into ¼-inch slices Salt
1. Place turkey roast in self-closing plastic bag. Pour 1-1/2 cups marinade over turkey and turn to coat. Close bag and marinate in refrigerator overnight.
2. Place zucchini and onion in shallow baking dish. Pour remaining ¾ cup marinade over vegetables, cover and marinate in refrigerator 1 to 4 hours.
3. Prepare outdoor grill for cooking by the indirect heat method. When grill is ready, remove roast from marinade; discard marinade. Lift and shift string netting on roast for easier removal after cooking. Place roast on cook grate over drip pan, cover grill and cook 1-1/2 to 2 hours or until center internal temperature is 170°F. Let stand 10 to 15 minutes; remove netting.
4. Meanwhile, remove vegetables from marinade, wipe off excess marinade and season with salt. Grill vegetables 2 to 3 minutes per side or until just cooked through.
5. To serve, cut roast into thin slices. To make each stack, layer 3 slices of turkey with vegetables in-between the slices. Or to simplify, cut roast into thicker slices and top each slice with grilled vegetables.
2 cups freshly squeezed orange juice 2 tablespoons olive oil 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh thyme 2 teaspoons finely shredded orange peel ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Whisk together all ingredients in medium bowl.