New York, NY —
New Yorkers, get thee to New Jersey? Those are fighting words to any die-hard New York City foodie. But, is there a traitor in their midst? Fourth generation New Yorker Steven Shaw says some of the area's best Japanese, Portuguese, Korean, Vietnamese and Indian food can be found across the Hudson in the Garden State.
But wait, hold your boos and hisses, Gothamites. Shaw's a food critic, a food writer and the founder of eGullet.org, one of the top food Web sites in the US. And just in case you've forgotten, he is a 4th generation New Yorker.
The following are ten Northern New Jersey restaurants and food destinations highly recommended by Steven Shaw and eGullet.org members living in New Jersey:
1. South Indian: Moksha, Edison, http://www.moksharestaurants.com/
2. Hamburgers ("Sliders"): White Manna, Hackensack (358 River Street, Hackensack, NJ, )
3. South American: Cucharamama, Hoboken, http://www.cucharamama.com/
4. Hot Dogs: Jimmy Buff's, several locations, http://www.jimmybuff.com/
5. Japanese food-shopping: Mitsuwa Marketplace, Edgewater, http://www.mitsuwanj.com/
6. Korean food-shopping: Super H-Mart, Ridgefield, http://www.hmart.com/
7. Sichuan (Chinese): Chengdu 1, Cedar Grove, (89 Pompton Ave., Cedar Grove, NJ, )
8. Italian-American: American Bistro, Nutley, http://www.americanbistro.net/
9. Italian food-shopping: Corrado's, Clifton, http://www.corradosmarket.com/
10. Portuguese: Sol-Mar, Newark (267 Ferry St., Newark, )