New York, NY –
Heavy thunderstorms with gusty winds are forecast for our area today. And, in preparation the city's Buildings Department is reminding all builders, contractors, and property owners to secure their construction sites and buildings. The city will be performing random spot-check inspections of construction sites. And if they're not safely secured for the storms, the Department will issue violations and possibly Stop Work Orders.
From NYC Buildings:
To secure construction sites, builders, contractors and developers should take all precautionary measures including but not limited to the following:
· Tie down and secure material and loose debris at construction sites.
· Cover electrical equipment from exposure to the weather.
· Store loose tools, oil cans and extra fuses in a tool box.
· Secure netting, scaffolding and sidewalk sheds.
· Suspend crane operations and secure crane equipment when wind speeds reach 30 mph or greater.
· Suspend hoist operations and secure exterior hoists when wind speeds reach 35 mph or greater, unless manufacturer specifications state otherwise.
· Brace and secure construction fences.
· Call 9-1-1 if there is an emergency on a construction site.
To secure a building, property owners should take all precautionary measures including but not limited to the following:
· Bring inside loose, lightweight objects such as lawn furniture, potted plants, garbage cans, garden tools and toys.
· Anchor objects that would be unsafe outside, such as gas grills or propane tanks.
· Close up and secure patio umbrellas.
· Secure retractable awnings.
· Remove aerial antennas and satellite television dishes.