New York, NY —
The Obama administration is reportedly proposing a $200 million fund to help pay for security costs for the 9/11 trials. A congressional aide familiar with the plan says the money will be included in the president's budget being released Monday. The administration said late last year the trials would take place in federal court in Lower Manhattan. But opposition from local officials and business leaders has been growing since Mayor Bloomberg put the cost of tighter security at $216 million just for the first year after Khalid Sheikh Mohammed and other Guantanamo inmates are transferred from the detention center for trial. Though the Justice Department has yet to back down publicly from its original plan, administration officials have acknowledged that other sites are under consideration.