New York, NY —
Investigators have spoken to the registered owner of a sport utility vehicle used in the failed car bomb attempt in Times Square, but Mayor Michael Bloomberg says the owner is not considered a suspect.
"We have no information whatsoever, no sense that they're involved, and if we have any information, we'll put it out," the mayor says. "We're doing the investigation, we're talking to everybody, we'll continue to do that."
Bloomberg says police are reviewing a number of videos taken in and around Times Square. He says additional footage of the SUV has been found.
"Police have also obtained other video images of the SUV traveling along 45th Street at Times Square," the mayor says.
Detectives have also spoken with a tourist from Pennsylvania who had been thought to have video of the scene. NYPD officials say that videotape did not yield anything of interest.
The car left in Times Square, a Nissan Pathfinder SUV, was registered in Connecticut, where the owner on record was questioned Sunday night. NYPD spokesman Paul Browne would not give further details, saying only that the search is still on for the driver of the Pathfinder. Investigators also continue to seek a "person of interest," a white man in his 40s seen on surveillance video near the scene. On the video, the man is seen taking off a shirt and looking back in the direction of the car.
U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder told reporters that investigators have made "really substantial progress" and that "we have some good leads."
Meanwhile, Times Square is back to being the Crossroads of the World, filled with people -- and a few extra police officers.
"We're not going to be scared, we're not going to be cowed," the mayor said. "And as long as we have the best first responders and the cooperation we need from the federal government, we are going to be a safe city and we're going to go about our lives normally."
For related stories on the Times Square Terror Plot, click here.