The New Moon Rises
A Lunar New Year Music Festival - Schedule of Events
Thursday, January 24, 2008
Thursday, February 7th, 200812:00AM—12:00MID on WNYC2 and 93.9FM†
24 hours of themed music, featuring contemporary and traditional classical, folk instrumentations and genres, pop hybrids from Asian countries celebrating the Lunar New Year, as well as works by Western composers inspired by Asian sounds and instruments.
Featured artists and music include:
- Chinese-born pipa player and composer, Min Xiao-Fen, along with fellow compatriots Huang Ruo and Ge Gan-Ru.
- Korean-born composer and cellist Okkyung Lee, Vietnamese composer P.Q. Phan, Indonesian gamelan, Mongolian epic songs, Tibetan choral works.
- A broad swathe of Western musicians employing Asian sounds and instruments, including Terry Riley's "The Cusp of Magic" with the Kronos Quartet and Wu Man on pipa as well as pieces from Philip Glass, John Adams, Lou Harrison, Ben Johnston, Elliot Goldenthal, and others.
Friday, February 8th, 200812:00AM—5:00AM on WNYC2 and 93.9FM
- Overnight Music host James Jacobs highlights the music of Tibet and Korea.
- Spotlight Tibet: Composer Philip Glass serves as guest commentator, as the Gyuto Monks of Tibet join John Schaefer for an encore episode of New Sounds Live.
- Spotlight Korea: American sax player and composer Peter Gordon spent a year in Korea, becoming conversant in their music and instruments, including the piri (the Korean oboe). He demonstrates the instrument and shares some recordings of Korea's "national living treasures" in a special episode of New Sounds.
Saturday, February 9th, 200812:00AM—5:00AM on WNYC2 and 93.9FM
- Overnight Music host Helga Davis highlights the music of Indonesia and Vietnam.
- Spotlight Indonesia: Live music performed for New Sounds by The Royal Court Gamelan of Solo, Indonesia with composer/director Rahayu Suppangah as guest.
- Spotlight Vietnam:WNYC2 presents a curated mix of Vietnamese music, from the Monks of Plum Village, to the traditional art of the Kim Sinh, to the contemporary works of P.Q Phan.
Sunday, February 10th, 200812:00AM—5:00AM on WNYC2 and 93.9FM
- Overnight Music host Helga Davis highlights the music of China.
- The Lunar New Year Festival wraps up with an eclectic mix of Chinese music, ranging from traditional court, folk and opera, to the classical masters of Zhou Long and Bright Sheng, to the contemporary adventures of Huang Ruo and pipa player Min Xiao-Fen, to the complex pop hybrids of He Xuntian.
"The New Moon Rises" is supported in part by the New York State Music Fund, established by the New York State Attorney General at Rockefeller Philanthropy Advisors, and the Corporation for Public Broadcasting.
↵ back to WNYC's The New Moon Rises.