1 large (3 1/2 pound) fresh chicken
1 cup each: peeled and diced carrots, new potatoes, turnips, onions
1 cup whole button mushrooms (washed and dried)
6 peeled garlic cloves pinch of saffron
1 cup chicken stock
4 sprigs parsley
1. Wash chicken in warm water and pat dry. In a large pot place the chicken, carrots, potatoes, turnips, onions, mushrooms, garlic.
2. Add the stock and then enough water to cover chicken. Bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer. Add the saffron, parsley and a 1/4 teaspoon of sea salt.
3. Cook for about 15 minutes per pound or 50 total minutes after the initial simmer.
4. To serve remove chicken and slice or cut with a scissors place into a large soup tureen. Season the broth and pour the vegetables and broth. Serve with rice on the side.
2 cups basmati rice
4 cups cold water
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 /4 teaspoon of salt
1. In a 4 quart non corrosive pot with a lid add the rice, water, salt and olive oil. Bring to a boil, then reduce to low and cover.
2. Cook for twenty minutes. Don't open until ready to serve!