Volunteer Match: The State of Volunteering Today

Thursday, July 08, 2010

All this month we're highlighting volunteer opportunities in our listening area. Greg Baldwin, president of VolunteerMatch, discusses how you can help, especially in light of this week's record heat wave, and a new report on the state of volunteering today.

Today's VolunteerMatch Highlights: Seniors Projects with New York Cares in Staten Island | Financial Work at the Somerset Art Association | Online Business Mentor at MicroMentor | English-Spanish Translator at Day One NYC | Mediation Leader at Silver Hill Hospital in New Canaan, CT

→ Explore the VolunteerMatch Database: Google Earth Map | Listings

We'll list the opportunities mentioned on-air on the BL Show blog, and ask you to report back on your work.

Greg Baldwin

Lynette from Wayne NJ

Hello:

I was glad to learn that I could FIND a volunteer. But I can't!

I need one to play chess w/ my husband at least 3 times per week while I'm at work.

Please let me know how I go about this - all my searches have been concerned with becoming a volunteer.

Lynette

Jul. 26 2010 12:39 PM
MaureenMcc from Bergen County, NJ

The Volunteer Center of Bergen County, NJ matches individuals with opportunities to serve at hundreds of non-profit agencies. We also sponsor direct service programs where we match mentors with abused or neglected children, or with moms who are overwhelmed and need guidance in facing the challenges of raising a family. We offer a free repair service for senior citizen homeowners in Bergen County, and more. Call 201-489-9454 or visit www.bergenvolunteers.org

Jul. 15 2010 11:29 AM
Maria Hoffman from Jackson Heights, NY

The community of Jackson Heights recently received approval from the community board to close 78th Street between 34th Avenue and Northern Boulevard to vehicular traffic, expanding the adjacent Travers Playground this summer. 78 Play Street is now entering its third week and volunteers are needed to help man the street. What does it entail? Setting out street furniture and toys. Ensuring the safety of the children. Keep the street as debris free as possible. Please email info@jhgreen.org for more information.

Jul. 15 2010 10:54 AM
esimo from Brooklyn

IdeaList also has many other volunteer listings. The direct link to search for volunteer opportunities is http://www.idealist.org/if/as/vol

Jul. 08 2010 06:17 PM
Robert Rosenthal from Bay Area

Robert from VolunteerMatch here. Just wanted to share that New York nonprofits can enroll in our service for free and start recruiting volunteers right away. Here's the link to get started:

Jul. 08 2010 01:44 PM
Rebecca Missel from Morristown, NJ

Young adults in New Jersey should check out Jersey Tribe, a social and volunteer group for young Jewish adults (we welcome people of all faiths) in northern and central NJ. We offer one-time volunteer opportunities on weekends and evenings that are suited to the busy lives of young professionals. Since launching in December, more than 70 people have volunteered with us and our next event is tonight(!!!) in Edison. We'll be tackling immigration and citizenship issues. For information about the event and all our activities, email thejerseytribe@gmail.com or visit us at www.facebook.com/JerseyTribe.

Jul. 08 2010 10:59 AM
John from Fanwood, NJ

Brian, don't forget about volunteering to serve on boards and commissions in New Jersey towns. Many of the volunteers in my town are getting older, and young blood is essential.

Jul. 08 2010 10:59 AM
Collette from Brooklyn

I'd like you to consider expanding the definition of volunteering. I'm a graduate student and I and my colleagues spend a lot of our time volunteering in our departments, organizing events and lectures, serving on committees, etc. I consider this community service, even though it's a smaller "community."

Jul. 08 2010 10:55 AM
Christopher from Middle Village

A shout out for the volunteering guys out there...I've volunteered fairly consistently for over 25 years in various capacities. Since coming to New York to live in 1991, I've volunteered as a teacher's assistant and I've been a Big Brother for over 7 years. I do have to admit that as I'm unemployed it can be challenging in terms of what I can afford to do with my Little as I'm not receiving any benefits right now.

Jul. 08 2010 10:54 AM
linlee

Women should stop volunteering so much. Men are smart to work when and where they are PAID. If you are good at something, do not give it away. Start a business!

Jul. 08 2010 10:51 AM
Andy B. from New York City

Volunteering rate low in an area like NYC?

Well if you are in an economic crisis or out-of-work and maybe have a gigantic monthly housing bill to pay and no rent-control - maybe you have higher priorities.

Jul. 08 2010 10:49 AM
Mark Walter from Albany, NY

New Yorkers Volunteer is an exciting statewide initiative championed by Governor David Paterson focused on engaging New Yorkers of all ages and all walks of life in service. New Yorkers is our state's most valuable resource and can help to solve the unprecedented economic challenges that leave many loacal needs of our neighbors unmet. Listeners should visit www.NewYorkersVolunteer.ny.gov for specific volunteer opportunities in communities throughout New York State.

Jul. 08 2010 10:47 AM
Alisa Kesten from Tarrytown, NY

Listeners from Westchester and Putnam should go to www.volunteer-center.org for a database chock full of volunteer opportunities for people of all stages and all ages. The Volunteer Center has just received the Governor's ROSE Award for Service Excellence. We have seen a steady uptick in the number of volunteers getting connected through our organization. Our fiscal year ended June 1 but we are on pace to beat last year's figures of connecting over 15,000 volunteers to 500 organizations by several thousand more! And this is just the tip of the iceberg. Volunteers in our area rock!

Jul. 08 2010 10:29 AM