Hot Drinks on Hot Days to Cool Off?

Wednesday, July 07, 2010

Can hot drinks actually cool you off in hot weather? Following up on a Brian Lehrer Show conversation that started yesterday about ways to cool off in the heat, Aaron Carroll, director of the Center for Health Policy and Professionalism Research at the Indiana University School of Medicine, and co-author of Don’t Swallow Your Gum!: Myths, Half-truths, and Outright Lies About Your Body and Health, talks about whether there's any truth behind the suggestion to drink hot drinks in hot weather to cool off.

Aaron Carroll

Scott from NY

re: "Spicy foods help too... Think Mexico, India, Indonesia, Thailand, etc... Most hot weather countries seem to have spicy foods. Coincidence?"

The way I'd heard it, highly spicing foods helped cover up the taste when it started to turn bad more quickly due to high temperatures, and had nothing to do with making the person feel cooler.

Jul. 17 2010 01:46 PM
josy from Manhattan

When I was a teenager, I lived in Israel, and loved to have--as many others did--hot soup for lunch on hot summer days. It is true that I'd break into a sweat, but it really seemed to cool me down. Also, during school vacations, I'd go work on a kibbutz picking fruit in the Negev desert. Right at midday, after work (we'd start at 4am), I'd take a hot shower. I still remember how cooling it felt to coming out into the 100 degree + weather.

Jul. 07 2010 07:02 PM
Eugenia Renskoff from Williamsburgh, Brooklyn

Brian, Yes, i too find that hot drinks help. When I get back at night, i make myself a pot of Celestial Seasonings tea. I use a little bit of honey and when I drink it, it quenches my thirst. It destresses me too. Eugenia Renskoff

Jul. 07 2010 02:22 PM
sk

Did this guy ever eat ice cream?

Jul. 07 2010 11:57 AM
Jay F.

Jul. 07 2010 11:46 AM
Dalia from Woodside

In Egypt, where I am originally from, we also drink tea during the dead heat of summer - and seemingly it works to cool you down a bit by helping you sweat a little by raising your body temperature - it's as if it triggers your body's natural cooling system. (we also drain down ice cold water, too, when we can't take the thirst anymore).

Also, as counterintuitive as this might seem, sometimes wearing long sleeves and long pants or skirts - in light fabric - helps keep you cool, since it shelters your skin from the harsh burn of the sun, and soaks up any sweat right away, perhaps countering the humidity factor the prevents sweat from evaporating.

Stay cool everyone!