"The Agony and the Ecstasy of Phil Spector"

Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Director Vikram Jayanti talks about his film “The Agony and the Ecstasy of Phil Spector,” a portrait of the legendary record producer famous for creating “the wall of sound” that defined some of the greatest pop hits of the 1960s. Today, Spector is serving 19 years-to-life for the murder of B-movie actress Lana Clarkson.

“The Agony and the Ecstasy of Phil Spector” opens at Film Forum June 30. More information and tickets here.

Vikram Jayanti

Ed Carter from los angeles

In his introduction of Mr. Jayanti, Mr. Lopate says that "his" films have won two Oscars. On one of those films, "Born into Brothels," Jayanti was only a "creative consultant." On the other, "When We Were Kings," he was a co-producer. It's certainly debatable whether the latter film could be considered "his," but in no way was "Brothels" "his" film. Perhaps more accurately, two "films on which he worked" won Oscars.

Jul. 03 2010 03:55 PM
betsy from manhatten

I experienced many of the aspects of P.S. in the early '90's when I was in my early 30's. I met him at an opening in Soho (Hopper & Schnable!). He had a little button on the lapel of his navy velvet jacket that said "back to mono" & I was curious enough to ask him what it meant! I got an earful - "I get it, I get it..." he asked me & my friend to join him at the after opening party, just a couple of blocks away but insisted that we take his stretch limo. During the short ride he got a call (car phone, not cell) from one of the country's most famous divorce lawyers (I'm blanking on the name). At the party I became Phil's "minder," making sure he didn't freak out. At one point he had to escape the party & I went with him. We got into his limo & - ta da - he pulled out a gun! I talked him down & we went back to the party. The rest of the evening is another story...

Jun. 30 2010 12:59 PM
CJ from NY

How does he know he was in a fugue state? Is he a psychiatrist? He had an opportunity to do a real documentary why must we be subjected to this dude's editorializing?

"Listening to his own greatest hits?"

He may as well be Oliver Stone

Jun. 30 2010 12:56 PM
Tom from Upper West Side

As an alum of UMass/Amherst, I can attest to the fact that Bill Cosby earned his doctorate. he may haveother honorary degrees, but he did the work for the UMass degree.

Jun. 30 2010 12:50 PM
Maria from NYC

Mr. Jayanti is listed in Wikipedia as having a producer credit for Born into Brothels. If this is accurate, can you ask Mr. Jayanti what his reaction to the criticism of the film by some people in India, and in particular Partha Banerjee, for its portrayal of the sex workers and the notion that film glorifies a foreign person (Briski) as a savior to the kids?

Does Mr. Jayanti have any contact with the kids profiled in the film today and how are they doing? (Aside from Avijit, who is studying at NUY.)

Thank you.

Jun. 30 2010 12:49 PM
Mike from Montclair

The song at the start is "Da Doo Ron Ron" by The Crystals.

Jun. 30 2010 12:46 PM
Griph from NYC

What was the name of the song leading into this segment?

Jun. 30 2010 12:43 PM