Drilling for Natural Gas

Monday, June 21, 2010

Josh Fox, director of “Gasland,” discusses the possible hazards of domestic natural gas drilling. When he received an unexpected offer of $100,000 for the natural gas drilling rights to his property in the Delaware River Basin, on the border of New York and Pennsylvania, he resisted the urge to accept.  Instead, he set off on a cross-country journey to investigate the environmental risks of agreeing to the deal.

“Gasland” debuts on HBO June 21, at 9:00 pm.

Josh Fox

jmletennier from NYS

Some Education people.. the movie Gasland is quite simply the worst of the worst... Therear e roughly some 250,000 gas wells in the US and of those 99% have no issues either with water or polution. I have family living with NG in Wyoming and Louisiana for years. no one is sick or gettign sick. Placing a moratorium so other people can get rich is not the answer, but some here commented on using more intelligent technology, such and www.gasfrac.com or a closed loop solution onsite cleaning.. that is an approach I could back as a land owner. As a condition of our lease make it a requirment to use these new technlogies and prevent any possibility of pollution..

Jul. 08 2010 04:53 AM
Neighbor to signed leases from Sullivan County NY

Thank you for having this segment. I live five miles away from the Millennium Pipeline, which is a natural gas pipeline recently expanded to accomodate the anticipated production. Ergo, I live five miles away from signed leases. I cannot believe my "property rights" neighbors who think that it is their right to do what they want with their land, when because of mandatory inclusion in NY if a certain percentage of my neighbors sign I could have gas mining under my house without my agreement, and because the gas has to get to the pipeline, one could be routed through my property without my permission. Along with the specter of poisoned water and air, and noise and traffic, and crime, where are my property rights?

Jun. 24 2010 10:18 PM
Vic from !

Thank you for having Mr. Fox as a guest on your show. Last night I watched, GASLAND, and I was dismayed to see such poisonous waste injected into the environment, and into our daily lives forever.
When... & where does it end...?

Jun. 22 2010 08:12 AM
thatgirlinnewyork from nyc

chad, darling, here's some science for you:

Jun. 21 2010 06:16 PM
Jim Litman from Monroe Township, NJ

Ecoshpere Technologies of Stuart FL has equipment in use now "fracing" gas wells, which does not use chemicals and can return the water to it's original condition. Their phone number is 1-772-287-4846. Their web site is www.ecoshperetech.com

Jun. 21 2010 01:33 PM
amalgam from Manhattan by day, NJ by night

@ anonyme - That is precisely my position: Research is needed to prove exactly why methane is flowing with extracted water. Fox is doing a service by exposing the negative aspects of natural gas extraction, but it can't just stop there, otherwise it is strictly a laymen speaking without data. Advocacy is good, but science backing it up is better.

Jun. 21 2010 01:28 PM
anonyme

Sorry Amalgam, but flaming water is plenty of information for me.

Jun. 21 2010 01:19 PM
anonyme

Has anybody tried to silence your guest?

Jun. 21 2010 01:18 PM
amalgam from Manhattan by day, NJ by night

Just as Gasland is a one-sided piece of advocacy, so too, is the "Debunking Gasland" response that

Chad

has posted below. The fact is that the EPA is currently conducting a follow-up study on negative and water resource impacts, and the USGS is not certain of those effects water-related effects. To cite the USGS and excerpt from their clear-headed summary section in the analysis entitled "Water Resources and Natural Gas Production from the Marcellus Shale."

"While the technology of drilling directional boreholes, and the use of sophisticated hydraulic fracturing processes to extract gas resources from tight rock have improved over
the past few decades, the knowledge of how this extraction might affect water resources has not kept pace. Agencies that manage and protect water resources could benefit from a
better understanding of the impacts that drilling and stimulating Marcellus Shale wells might have on water supplies, and a clearer idea of the
options for wastewater disposal."

To wit; MORE SCIENCE PLEASE...

Jun. 21 2010 12:50 PM
Marilyn from brooklyn

The G&O industry has ramped up their lobbying funds by huge #'s to try to take over NYS with their poisonous techniques. Beware, Energy in Depth is a G&O lobbying group!!

Jun. 21 2010 12:17 PM
Chad

The thing is, a lot of stuff in this film seems to be completely not accurate!

Jun. 19 2010 02:16 PM