Autobiography of a Recovering Skinhead

Thursday, June 17, 2010

Frank Meeink tells how he was drawn into America’s Nazi underground and how he ultimately triumphed over drugs and hatred.

In Autobiography of a Recovering Skinhead he talks about what made him easy prey for skinhead gang recruiters, how, by 16, he had become one of the most notorious skinhead gang leaders on the East Coast, and how he defected from the white supremacy movement and changed his life.

Frank Meeink

ryan sasek

before anyone judges frank read his book. i noticed that someone was saying you can't change and you take that hate to your grave. first look at his childhood it was easy for him to join the nazi movement. anyway just read his book it was the most inspiring and most power book i've ever read in my life. it should be mandatory in high schools to read this book to teach everyone the danger of hatred and drug addiction. and according to frank he feels that parts of American History X are centered around his story.

Jun. 17 2010 04:48 PM
The Truth from Becky

JUDY I recognize sarcasm even in print....and although we are constantly changing throughout our lives, but I believe that level of hatred, for another human being, you take with you, (perhaps to a lesser degree) to the grave. Anyways God forgives, me not so much! sry my opinion

Jun. 17 2010 01:33 PM
Brian from from Greenpoint

This segment was interesting as it highlighted the complex intersection of rural and urban sensibilities surrounding the punk rock scene(s) in Philadelphia, DE and MD. Same might be said for Columbus, OH. Having grown up there, hearing FM's description of his activities recalled many tense moments from my youth when packs of skinheads would show up at parties, shows, or other places where young people gather. When the trucks and cars packed with these kinds of guys arrived, it always felt like the party was over.

Jun. 17 2010 01:06 PM
amalgam from Manhattan by day, NJ by night

Yes, he was from a white, working class, ethnic ghetto (sociologically speaking, an isolated group). Go to Philly and you'll see ghettoization along these lines (for instance, Fishtown). The reason for quotation marks around the word ghetto is to distinguish the media's desire to manufacture or reproduce identities and narratives which can easily be pinned to certain groups, areas, etc. This is certainly the case when experiences can be explained away and perceptions of groups made fit into stereotypical boxes.

Jun. 17 2010 12:52 PM

This story is incredibly powerful & inspiring. I immediately went to Frank's website. Check it out. It's great.

Jun. 17 2010 12:51 PM
Jonella from Boondox of Sullivan County

I found this segment very interesting and inspiring - hopeful for humanity. It's WONDERFUL when someone comes from so far adrift, so deep into hatred and destruction - to become a useful, helpful, constructive citizen. I say Bravo! to the young man. And what a group of Sourpusses have commented so far! I'm rather surprised at the negativity. (And the lack of correct English spelling or usage - Well, I guess no surprise there! - especially considering the childish comments.)

Jun. 17 2010 12:46 PM
judy from greenpoint

yes Becky, you are right. no one ever changes. ever. we always think the exact same way we did when we were 16. no matter who we meet or what experiences we have.

Jun. 17 2010 12:46 PM
The Truth from Becky

Sorry I dont buy it.

Jun. 17 2010 12:40 PM
The Truth from Becky

I agree with TBC. Wonder what his heritage is, I must have missed that part of the interview. You can't hate like this for the better part of your young life and now, I am all better now, I am a good guy. Bull!

Jun. 17 2010 12:33 PM
Mo from Ohio

I'm from Columbus, Ohio too. People always think that the South is so racists, but I think that a lot of places in the Mid-west, including Ohio, are just as, if not more racists than the South.

Jun. 17 2010 12:32 PM
Mike from Atlanta

I wonder what he thinks of the movie "American History X"

Jun. 17 2010 12:31 PM
The Truth from Becky

Don't know why you have quotes around "the ghetto" Amalgam, this kid is clearly not from the neighborhood and can't blame the media for reporting the ignorance.

Ok don't embellish, I doubt you were "showing up" the Black inmates on anything! I am sure you all were not skipping hand in hand through the "yard" and I am sure the muslims didn't have you're back on anything!

Jun. 17 2010 12:29 PM
The Truth from Becky

Jun. 17 2010 12:29 PM
TBC

I have a hard time listening to this 'former criminal's' deeds. Such violence is so cruel and not easily forgiven in my opinion.

Jun. 17 2010 12:28 PM
judy from greenpoint

east coast, west coast, I lived in columbus ohio and hung out with sharp kids in the late 80's. this was everywhere. bored teenage boys (and girls) full of aggression and no way to deal with it.

Jun. 17 2010 12:26 PM
amalgam from Manhattan by day, NJ by night

Ain't it the truth that the media loves racism, the "ghetto," violence, counterculture, and above all, hate. Gotta love that hate.

Jun. 17 2010 12:24 PM
Sally Forth from LES

Wouldn't be Lenny on Thursday without a show about anti-Semitism.

Jun. 17 2010 12:14 PM
Frank Grimaldi from East Village

It's really bizarre but his story sounds so close to the film America History X , except that it happened on the East coast.

Jun. 17 2010 12:10 PM