Shopping in New York

Thursday, May 20, 2010

New Yorker staff writer Patricia Marx talks about the ins and outs of shopping in New York and around the world.

Patricia Marx is a former writer for “Saturday Night Live,” and is the author of several children’s books and humor books, most recently, Him Her Him Again the End of Him. Her article about shopping in Brooklyn, "Borough Haul," appeared in the March 8 issue—see a map of stores from that article here. Her next article, about graduation gifts, will appear in the May 31 issue of The New Yorker.

Patricia Marx

Eugenia Renskoff from Williamsburgh, Brooklyn

Hello, I was reminded of the days when I had money to shop regular stores like Macy's, I.Magnin, Lord and Taylor and even Tiffany & Company. Those days are gone because of mortgage fraud. Now, I go to The Salvation Army. I had a good time listening to Ms. Marx. It was like going to a movie about people with happy problems. Eugenia Renskoff

May. 20 2010 02:56 PM
thatgirlinnewyork from manhattan

half ton son--it was in chicago. the building continues to stand on state street. michigan avenue has since taken state street's mantle vis a vis "destination shopping" in chicago in recent years.

May. 20 2010 01:31 PM
Peter from Manhattan

Sam from Staten Island, You make a very good point but I'm afraid that it is too late for the double espresso. The only thing that could save this interview is an injection of adrenaline, straight into her chest.

May. 20 2010 01:12 PM
jgarbuz from Queens

I loved your guest, who indeed is a very witty lady. I myself always hated shopping, I guess because I was practically raised in my mom and pop's dry goods shop back in Belmont avenue in Brownsville, East New York, which was basically a cold hole in the ground. It was a genuine Jewish "bargain basement" where my parents frequently loudly quarreled in yiddish in between haggling with the customers, mostly Black and Hispanic. And while watching not to get shoplifted at the same time. It was a scene that mostly turned me off to shopkeeping, though it could be lucrative at times. Just not meant for me. But the bargain hunters did come down to our little hole in the ground in droves.

May. 20 2010 01:02 PM
Amy from Manhattan

Oh, yeah--Arcadia (http://arcadianyc.com/home.php) on 8th Av. btwn. 21st & 22nd has a lot of great crafts & is very eco-conscious.

Much of the merchandise in all 3 stores I've named is fairly expensive, but there are always bargains to be had too. I'm willing to pay more for items that are easy on the earth & made by workers who are treated well, even though it means I need to buy less.

May. 20 2010 12:58 PM
Half Ton Son from NYC

Wait - where is Carson Pirie Scott located?

May. 20 2010 12:57 PM
amorris from nyc

this segment can only be a new way of promoting giving. A warning to those who dont contribute to wnyc of what we may hear if they dont cough up!

May. 20 2010 12:56 PM
Loren from CT

Just turned off my radio after what felt like endless mumbly prattle. Why is Patricia Marx on this program at all? I can talk about shopping in an informative, enthusiastic, engaging way for the same amount of time and imagine a great many people can. Do all of her "$10" clothes from Shanghai, which I doubt many of us will be flying to very soon, come from sweatshops? This mixture of NYC-not-the-same nostalgia, semi useful advice, and uninteresting anecdotes are a disappointment to what is usually a really impressive program.

May. 20 2010 12:54 PM
thatgirlinnewyork from manhattan

the carson pirie scott store on state street (yes, designed by louis sullivan) has been closed since 2006. the bon ton store chain bought it a couple of years earlier, and now that space is being "redeveloped", but is named the "sullivan center". state street was a destination for shopping throughout the 20th century, anchored also by the grand marshall field & company store, but that's been since taken over, then closed, as well.

May. 20 2010 12:50 PM
Jessica from Little Falls, NJ

The flagship Carson Pirie Scott store on State St. closed in 2007.

May. 20 2010 12:48 PM
Amy from Manhattan

Domus (http://www.domusnewyork.com/catalog/index.php) on W. 44th off 9th Av. is exactly the kind of store Ms. Marx described early in the segment--the owners travel all over the world to buy crafts to sell in Manhattan (& elsewhere via the Internet). A lot of their products are made of sustainable/reused materials and/or are fair trade, incl. Arghand soaps (from the cooperative Sarah Chayes founded in Afghanistan)--the only place I know of in NYC that sells them.

Sustainable-NYC (http://stores.intuitwebsites.com/SustainableNYC/StoreFront.bok) on Av. A at 9th St. has *all* sustainable/fair trade products (but not Arghand soaps...yet).

May. 20 2010 12:48 PM
Zak from Washington Heights

Leonard, the Carson Pirie Scott store designed by Louis Sullivan in Chicago is on State Street. There are few MORE beaten paths than State Street.

May. 20 2010 12:45 PM
Rudi from Queens

Leonard, you're thinking of Carson Pirie Scott.

May. 20 2010 12:38 PM
Felix from Dallas, TX

Leonard,
I believe the Chicago store is Carson Pirie Scott.

May. 20 2010 12:38 PM
Alexis from NYC

lol Sam... she needs to do SOMETHING

May. 20 2010 12:37 PM
bobby bell

hey did you ever check out
the red dress vintage&resale clothing
for plus size 14+
i went there just to look around and they had some real good deals

May. 20 2010 12:24 PM
Telegram Sam from Staten Island

She should find out where to get a double espresso, fast.

May. 20 2010 12:19 PM