R. Stevie Moore

« previous episode | next episode »

Sunday, June 29, 2008

Called "The Godfather of Home Taping," R. Stevie Moore has created, recorded, and distributed hundreds of his idiosyncratic songs and albums since the 1960s. These songs encompass a huge range of pop styles, but always twist them into shapes that only Moore could make. Moore rarely performs outside of his bedroom recording studio, but this time he brings his songs and his stream-of-consciousness presentation style to the WNYC Studio to perform with fellow guitarist Mike Jodry, and talk about the music with host David Garland.

View photos from the session

RStevieMoore.com

R. Stevie Moore at MySpace, and YouTube
News, weather, Radiolab, Brian Lehrer and more.
Get the best of WNYC in your inbox, every morning.

Don Wigal [WHY-gal] from NYC

THE FIVE MOST BEAUTIFUL SOUNDS

A woman at the peak of her esctasy.
is the most beautiful sound, you see.
The remaining quartet of sounds I hear
are the words "I love you, dear."

Jul. 04 2008 08:25 PM
Don Wigal [WHY-gal] from NYCV

THE FIVE MOST BEAUTIFUL SOUNDS

A woman at the peak of her esctasy
is the greatest joy to hear, you see.
The remaining quartet of sounds I hear
are the words "I love you, dear."

Jul. 04 2008 08:22 PM
W. Bisig from New Hampshire stream

Stun gun!

Jun. 30 2008 08:47 AM
Krystyna from Bloomfield, NJ

Dear Rita:

Thanks for your constructive criticism. It speaks to the power of Mr. Moore's talent which has pleased many and irritated some. He still has that indescribable way of balancing what some call "outsider" music with genius songwriting and accomplished musicianship. The man uses dissonance like a Lenny Tristano as well as the classic jazz chords of a Wes Montgomery and he throws in Zappa and Brian Wilson in for good measure.

I would venture that there might even be something in Stevie's 40-year career--now that's an oeuvre--that could tickle your fancy. Toodles.

Jun. 30 2008 08:30 AM
Claudia from New York City

Drat and double drat! I missed the Sun eve broadcast. How soon will this be archived/rebroadcast?
Thanks

Jun. 29 2008 09:11 PM
Drysdale Evans from Los Angeles

to Rita M May:

Honey, you're absolutely right-on. Frankly, he should've never gotten by even the early audition stage. Blame David, not R.

But the fact that you would suddenly post something vicious like this is not dissimilar to, say, brandishing a firearm. Art Attack?

Jun. 29 2008 08:56 PM
David Garland from Manhattan

Yes, Mayin Doll, Stevie has two performances coming up: Wednesday, July 23 at Bowery Ballroom, and then Thursday, July 24 at the Music Hall of Williamsburg. Thanks for asking; I meant to mention it on the air!
--David

Jun. 29 2008 08:11 PM
zero from NJburbs

2 words (w. punctuation): "more Moore!"

Jun. 29 2008 08:06 PM
josephine larsen from there

R. Stevie is a Paul McCartney for the twenty-first century. Mike Jodry is Spike Milligan for the twenty-second. Rock me, boys!

Jun. 29 2008 07:54 PM
ralph larsen from here

R.Stevie is a force of nature, but Mike Jodry is force from outer space. Oh, and I already spent the money I won at the horse race. Too bad, crippled dude.

Jun. 29 2008 07:48 PM
Mayin Doll from New York

Mr. Garland and Mr. Moore. What a great way to expose New Yorkers to orignal indpendent music. Does Mr. Moore play live here in the city ever?

Jun. 29 2008 07:47 PM
Rita M May from New York City

Dear Mr Garland, I usually find you show so interesting but I just tuned in to hear to R. Stevie Moore and cannot believe I have left the radio on. Perhaps I was just stunned to think you would have given airtime to "work" that is so stunningly bad.

Go back to your bedroom, Stevie, and please be quiet.

Jun. 29 2008 07:30 PM