Spinning On Air Mixtape No. 1

« previous episode | next episode »

Sunday, February 24, 2008

According to Wikipedia: “A mixtape is a compilation of songs recorded in a specific order, traditionally onto a compact audio cassette. A mixtape, which usually reflects the musical tastes of its compiler, can range from a casually selected list of favorite songs, to a conceptual mix of songs linked by a theme or mood, to a highly personal statement tailored to the tape’s intended recipient. Essayist Geoffrey O’Brien has called the personal mixtape 'the most widely practiced American art form,’ and many mixtape enthusiasts believe that by carefully selecting and ordering the tracks in a mix, an artistic statement can be created that is greater than the sum of its individual songs.” David Garland draws on a range of new music to revel in the mix gestalt.
News, weather, Radiolab, Brian Lehrer and more.
Get the best of WNYC in your inbox, every morning.

Nick from Brooklyn

Long live the mixtape!
The mp3 CD is such an unworthy successor.
Thanks for this lovely selection.

Feb. 29 2008 10:16 AM
Rebekah from Brooklyn, Sunset Park

I just discovered this show and am really enjoying it! Love the diversity and all the great new music from upcoming artists. Have you put together a "Best of" for fans to buy?

Feb. 25 2008 02:56 PM
Dan Bauer from Rockaway Beach, NY

Love your program and this week's episode of
Spinning on Air was great to hear such a variety. Really enjoyed that format for a change. Don't get me wrong, love the live stuff just as much, but this was a creative variation. I am trying to purchase the Julia Kent release you played after the show as well.
My wife and I are airport people, both of us work at JFK, she in the tower, and I in Customs, so "Delay" is something we can relate to. Keep up the great programming, always a treat.

Feb. 24 2008 10:06 PM
listener Doug from Bklyn

Beautiful show, thank you.

Feb. 24 2008 08:47 PM
Caroline from NYC

Oh, super! Thanks a million! I just bought six on iTunes.

Feb. 24 2008 08:25 PM
Caroline from NYC

Awesome show! Is there a song list for what's been played? There is so much I like that I wasn't able to write them all down. Thanks!

Feb. 24 2008 08:19 PM
David Garland from Manhattan

Here's the playlist for the "Mixtape." The list shows artist - song - album - record company:

Samara Lubelski – Follow Me – The Fleeting Skies – The Social Registry

Radical Face – Asleep on a Train, Welcome Home – Ghost – Morr Music

No Kids – Old Iron Gate – Come Into My House – Tomlab

Goldoolins – Buky, Where Art Thou?; I Am the Grass – The World is Somewhere Else – Turly Crio Records

Stuart and Caan – Do You Want To – The Mayfly Dance – self-released: myspace.com/stuartandcaanmusic

Tom Brosseau – I Want to Make This Moment Last – Cavalier – Fat Cat

Laura Marling – recorded on Spinning On Air

Marla Hansen – Wedding Day – Wedding Day – Standard Recording Co.

Reuben Buchart – All There Is to Tell – Golden Boy – self-released: reubenbuchart.com

Lightspeed Champion – Salty Water, Dry Lips – Falling Off the Lavender Bridge – Domino

Feb. 24 2008 08:18 PM
Pete from Park Slope

Hooray for music over Oscars!

Feb. 24 2008 08:02 PM
Robin from Washington Heights

This episode is proving to be excellent study-to music. Thanks!

Feb. 24 2008 07:57 PM
Paul from NJ-central

hey right on! finally some EDM. Dont get me wrong I absolutely love NPR and WNYC along with most of what they put on the air but I am a DJ and ametuer composer of electronic dance music and I was wondering when such a program would come up. Thanks Guys and your guest is great! A real wonder of an artist.

Feb. 24 2008 06:56 PM