Judge Blocks Furloughs

Thursday, May 13, 2010

A one-day furlough of state workers was scheduled by Governor Paterson to begin next week, but a federal judge has temporarily blocked the plan.  Host of Capital Tonight and Daily News columnist Liz Benjamin discusses the judge's decision and the state of New York's finances.

Liz Benjamin

The unions went in ex parte because there was no time -- the furloughs were imminent.

May. 13 2010 10:39 AM

Not "may be" -- the standard includes irreparable harm and likelihood of success on the merits. They got the TRO, because the Judge deemed that they were likely to win.

May. 13 2010 10:37 AM
Fillipe from Brooklyn

I think the state will need to revert to massive layoffs. We are looking at insolvency in June. Unions will not cooperate, so there is no choice.

May. 13 2010 10:36 AM
David from Great Neck

Why not lock up the entire Legislature in the Capitol until it passes a budget? Who do they think they are? This is outrageous. What is the problem? Even Spitzer (!) got a budget passed on time. Where is the leadership?

May. 13 2010 10:35 AM

I meant hundreds of THOUSANDS of dollars less.

May. 13 2010 10:34 AM

I am an attorney and also an adjunct assistant professor at CUNY. I am a member of the union but, as an adjunct, am not facing furlough.

As someone who works in both the private and public sectors, I can confirm that faculty and staff at CUNY and SUNY earn hundreds of dollars less than they would earn in the private sector. A full time, tenured professor at CUNY earns about 1/3 of what I earn as a mid-to-high level, permanent, full-time attorney at a NYC law firm. It is extremely unwise for the State to push faculty and skilled staff to the edge by cutting their already inadequate compensation. Were I a tenured faculty member at CUNY, I'd be fed up right now. Therefore, those who are saying "we're all hurting," need to realize that those in the education sector were hurting, before hurting began.

Further, and as the Judge recognized yesterday, unions have contracts, and contracts don't go away because the Governor can't balance the budget and the NYC legislature is dysfunctional. The legislators are screwing up; furlough them.

That's my opinion.

May. 13 2010 10:33 AM
jen l

I would really really like to know what is happening on the inside from the budget crisis. Is it really that the legislature is being completely irresponsible and don't want to anger constituents? Or is it more the governor's fault with the way things have been handled? He came to office with a history of having great bipartisan relations and now it seems all that goodwill has evaporated. I feel the public isn't hearing the whole story.

May. 13 2010 10:18 AM