Feeding Cats and Dogs

Thursday, May 13, 2010

Co-authors Marion Nestle, professor of nutrition, food studies and public health at New York University, and Malden Nesheim, Cornell University nutritional sciences professor, talk about the science and marketing of pet food and more from their book Feed Your Pet Right: The Authoritative Guide to Feeding Your Dog and Cat.

Malden Nesheim and Marion Nestle

Maureen from New York

For an eye opener to much commercial pet food, research "rendering plants."

I've listened to Dr. Nestle on WNYC a few times and find her quite cavalier about commercial pet food in her advice.

My dog had a sensitive stomach and a skin problem, which is entirely gone now that I cook for her. (Meatloaf, drained of most fat, with good quality ground beef, some canned pumpkin, raw oatmeal, and a couple of eggs -- cooked well.) No onions! Chicken & rice (not too much fat or dark meat; my dog can't take brown rice). Some cooked, peeled squash or canned pumpkin, or grated carrot, etc. Her coat is gorgeous now. Raw bones are good, if you aren't in a tiny studio apt! Then, calcium supplements. Best old standard, IMO, is "Dr. Pitcairn's Complete Guide to Natural Health for Dogs & Cats."

May. 13 2010 12:34 PM

Cavities?? What? This is all too much for me.

May. 13 2010 12:04 PM
francyne from pelham bay park

we feed our dog mainly kibble; however, we also feed her cooked veggies, homemade chicken broth, and some other human food. what is amazing is that she has a taste for fruit. loves oranges and grapes, bits of melon.

sorry that i'm at work and will have to listen on line later.

May. 13 2010 12:03 PM
Terry from northern Westchester

I'm concerned about BSE (Mad Cow Disease). I don't think the FDA does a good job of protecting humans from BSE in beef due to the lack of effective regulations about feeding meat by-products to cattle. I'm guessing the situation is even worse for most pet foods. Are there any brands that give more protection from this, and, if so, are they much more expensive than brands such as IAMS?

May. 13 2010 12:02 PM
Nick from UWS

More self-styled "experts" who are unable to directly answer a simple question. The lady asked a direct question: what ingredients we should be wary of on a cat food label. These two self-important whatever-they-ares laughed from their lofty heights, said a bunch of irrelevant mumbo jumbo and let the question die.

May. 13 2010 12:00 PM
The Truth from Becky

Who feeds an animal before eating themselves??? Some mental illness here sounds like. Dry food or as is from the store, their animals for goodness sakes.

May. 13 2010 12:00 PM
Michele C. Hollow from South Orange, NJ

I just toured a local PetSmart as a journalist covering this topic, and found that customers are paying more for dog food, and that they are going to carry higher end cat food soon because of the demand from their customers.
Pet News and Views

May. 13 2010 11:59 AM
Bryan from NJ

Pet food, raw meat, projectile vomiting cats. I'm glad I'm eating lunch right now...

May. 13 2010 11:59 AM
Beverly from NJ

what about a vegetarian/vegan diet for your cat or dog?

May. 13 2010 11:58 AM
margot from Montvale

I was horrified to hear a man say per his vet, he fed his dog raw chicken with the bones, a potato and a banana every day. Can this be right?

May. 13 2010 11:56 AM
Juli from Skillman, NJ

I will more likely cook for my pet before I cook for myself.

May. 13 2010 11:55 AM
jade from Jersey

What about treats that supposedly help clean cat teeth? And the ones that deliver laxatone-type products to help with furrballs?

May. 13 2010 11:55 AM
Michele C. Hollow from south

When I found my cat he was eating garbage. Now, he is spoiled and only eats wet canned food.
My cat also up chucks dry food.
Michele
Pet News and Views

May. 13 2010 11:53 AM
coco125 from dingmans ferry, pa

I cook for my two dogs. Usually brown rice with chicken and a veg - string beans or peas. I mix this in with their dry kibble.

May. 13 2010 11:52 AM
Catherine from Rockville Centre

My cats both have extremely sensitive systems. My vet said that I should try to find cat food without chicken - she said that virtually every cat food has chicken because it's so cheap, and cats can develop an intolerance for it. She was right on both counts: it was a real chore to find a cat food without chicken. I have found one and they are doing a lot better now.

May. 13 2010 11:51 AM
brenda arnowitz

My six month old golden/shepard killed and ate a wild turkey chick, this morning. Should i be concerned.

May. 13 2010 11:51 AM
Lou from Teaneck

do not wet cat food encourage cavities?

thanks

May. 13 2010 11:50 AM
Wally from nyc

What about the differences in the prices in Kibble? Premium brands can be wildly expensive and these produces diarrhea in one of my dogs. Is high priced, high protein kibble just snobbery?

May. 13 2010 11:49 AM
Voter from Brooklyn

Could the guests mention the dangers of trying to force animals into the same dietary fads as humans, namely forcing cats to be vegan. Is this or should this be considered cruelty to animals?

May. 13 2010 11:48 AM
Estelle from Austin

We never feed the dog people-food because the dog will learn to beg. And if you fed the dog people-food all the time, the dog would not know when to stop eating, and overeat ... and/or gobble to the point that s/he chokes.
So, my question is: If you toss this theory out the window and share your food with the dog, give him/her three home-cooked meals a day, does the begging/gobbling/overeating pattern break?
Maybe other listeners who do this can chime in.
Also, perhaps certain breeds are more gluttonous than others...?

May. 13 2010 11:48 AM
Nate Cimmino from West Orange, NJ

I try to buy high quality pet foods. My dog seems to want to eat my cat's kibble (Iams). My cats want to eat my dog's kibble (Blue), and wet food. Any problems if they do? Thank you.

May. 13 2010 11:48 AM
JP from NJ

Please ask if its true that vegan diet for cats and dogs is really a bad idea?

May. 13 2010 11:46 AM
Peter C from Paramus, NJ

Could you please discuss the differences between dry and moist dog (or cat) food?

May. 13 2010 11:45 AM
Tina Lee from Croton on Hudson, ny

Based on my own research, I pay extra $ to feed my 12 lb dog grain-free dog food, which I gladly do for his health and well-being. While I understand that high-protein content is not problematic, because he is so small I have stuck to the slightly lower protein % foods (30-35) and have avoided the higher ones (+40% protein). Is what I am doing necessary. Is the higher protein % just as safe and moreover, more nutritious for my dog?

May. 13 2010 09:05 AM
sumukha from Short Hills, NJ

Hi Brian, would you kindly ask what is the science behind the 'Science Diet', is it all just hype. Also both my Maltese have a delicate tummy and skin, and hence i feed them the expensive Prescription Diet, ultra allergen free ZD. Is there a home alternate to this. I cook for my family, i can of course cook for my dogs too, if need be. thanks

May. 13 2010 07:45 AM