Sara Moulton’s Family Dinners

Monday, May 10, 2010

Professional chef Sara Moulton talks about cooking for family every night, and she shares her favorite family-pleasing, carefully tested recipes. Her new cookbook Sara Moulton’s Everyday Family Dinners includes updated kid-friendly recipes, experiments with new cuisines and ingredients, and tips for how to cook smarter, faster, and cleaner.

Sara Moulton

db from ny

amc:

gimmie a break.

my kid eats like a regular person because he's never been coddled like some kind of invalid. i think there must be something he doesn't like but he'd be hard pressed to remember what it is. children are as picky as you make them.

kid's eat what they're presented from day one.

these kinds of discussions are reprehensible in a world (starting right here in NYC) where people go to bed hungry every night!

Working families often fall between the gap where poverty officially ends and self-sufficiency begins. Nowhere is this more evident than in New York City. Many households earn too much to be eligible for food stamps, but they still need food. In New York City, a family of three earning about $23,900 would not qualify for food stamps, but needs to earn over $60,000 to be considered self-sufficient in most boroughs. According to data collected by Gallup from 2008-2009 and released by Food Research and Action Center (FRAC), 1 in 4 families in New York City have difficulty affording food. Subsidized school food programs, while helpful, are limited to school-aged children, school days, and school hours, and do not meet children’s daily needs. All children need three square meals a day, including weekends and vacations.

City Harvest

let's find something important to obsess about... really.

ZZZ.

Nov. 16 2010 06:04 PM
amc

@ db from nyc Because children are picky and lack dexterity. This, however, should not mean that kids should only eat chicken fingers and fries. Obviously they should be exposed to a variety of foods, but if you've got that one child who refuses to take even one bite, are you going to starve him or force him? No, pass him a slice of quality pizza and make sure he's getting his Flintstones' vitamins.

Oct. 25 2010 10:05 AM
Otis Bromley

I watched Sarah as a regular when I lived in Milwaukee, Wi on the Food Network, I'm very disappointed they took her off Food Network, and is not the same as it was.

Jun. 26 2010 07:13 PM
Michael George from PA

I have loved Sara from the first time I saw her on Cooking Live. Then watched her on the PBS stations. I was lucky enough to meet her in Phila. at Tony Clarks...lovely woman and very personable. Red Chucks and all.

May. 10 2010 08:42 PM
Harriet Levine from west side - NYC

Wonderful to hear Sara on the radio - she is always great! Her new book, Everyday Family Dinners is her best yet - beautifully printed and photographed...and Sara looks terrific on the cover!

Thanks, Leonard, for having Sara on air today. Can you please make her a regular? Her ability to answer questions on the spot and provide the best answer is invaluable!

She is terrific on Good Morning America...hope you can have her back on your show.

May. 10 2010 02:16 PM
Vinay from Washington Heights

Hi!

A listener talked about chinese okra -- it is also called sinqua squash and, in India, it is called ridge gourd.

One of my favourite vegetables. Lots of recipes can be found for this vegetable under one of these three names.

happy cooking.

May. 10 2010 01:56 PM
Eve Vaterlaus from New City, NY

Does food lose"vitality"- vitamins- nutrients, value, if it is cut and stored days in advance?
Or frozen?
Any info on this?

May. 10 2010 01:53 PM
danielle jensen from manh

I used to watch sara on the food channel back when it was a good station. she helped inspire me to be more adventurous and try things that i was not confident doing i watched a show with herand a quest chef prepare 2 fish dishes - I said to myself "I can do that" and I did.

May. 10 2010 01:51 PM
Jill from Manhattan

I miss Sara's Food Network show Cooking Live. It was a highlight of my day when it was on. I have one memory in particular. Right after 9/11, she had on a NYC based chef (forgetting his name right now) who talked about making chocolate chip cookies as a comfort food with his daughter right after the event. This really touched me.

May. 10 2010 01:49 PM
harvey b from manhattan

I've relied on the convenience of bags of frozen vegetables. From what I've read, they're nearly as "fresh" as supermarket fresh veggies, as nutritious, and what you don't use will keep in the freezer for a long time.

May. 10 2010 01:49 PM
Anne Carpenter from NYC

I am a Holistic Health Counselor. I don't cook for dinner, sometimes soup , but eat crudite every night and we all love it. Never boring with different veggies. Helps prevent diseses i.e. Diabetes. Our tummies never get upset and never have irregularity. We do eat out on weekends.

May. 10 2010 01:47 PM
Betty Anne from UES

I have never been able to make good homemade tomales, can you ask her if she any tips for making this at home?

May. 10 2010 01:46 PM
Lee Bartell from Union Sq.

I do the same stock method, (veggies in the freezer), and then put the finished stock into ice cube trays, and back into the freezer it goes, for whenever I need stock.

May. 10 2010 01:44 PM
ruth shively from portland oregon

having the same problem with family dinners, my 10 year old son is a vegetarian, my 7 year old daughter only likes meat and bread and my husband and i love everything spicy. frustrated with making dinner....thanks.

May. 10 2010 01:37 PM
db from nyc

Will somebody PLEASE explain why kids need "kid-friendly" food???

May. 10 2010 01:34 PM