Dave Barry’s Amazing Tales of Adulthood

Tuesday, May 04, 2010

Humorist Dave Barry talks about the mystifying territory of adulthood—from fatherhood, parenting, self-image, the battle of the sexes, celebrity, technology, certain unmentionable medical procedures, and more. His latest book is I’ll Mature When I’m Dead: Dave Barry’s Amazing Tales of Adulthood.

Events: Dave Barry will be reading and signing books
Tuesday, May 4, at 7:00 pm
Barnes & Noble, Lincoln Triangle
1972 Broadway, at 66th Street

Dave Barry

Roy Zornow from East Village

I"m here all week folks, try the veal."

Nov. 05 2010 04:43 PM
ellen from ny

Heard half of the barry interview, not knowing who it was, and thought, that's a definition of schmuck if ever heard one--What stupid comments. I'm surprised to find out it was dave barry, whose columns often make me laugh a lot--one of the few humorists left. Oh well, maybe he's just better in print.

May. 04 2010 06:26 PM
Barry Leiba from Cortlandt Manor, NY

Tim: Don't confuse WNYC's local programming with NPR; they're not related.

I've always been a fan of Dave Barry (and it's got nothing to do with the name). Stereotyping aside, he has a wonderfully amusing way of looking at things, and then turning that into words.

May. 04 2010 02:41 PM
db from nyc

This is some tired stuff reinforcing the worst stereotypes.

Dave Barry and Bob Hope must be soulmates.

Zzz.

May. 04 2010 01:52 PM
Tim

Really don't like this brand of humor. Perpetuates the worst stereotypes about men while giving people who actually act that way a pass by making it the norm.

Disappointed to hear this on the usually wonderful NPR.

May. 04 2010 01:41 PM
Amy from Manhattan

The question isn't why men are rational, it's why they *think* that the way they are is "rational"--& why women believe them!

As for the toilet seat, I never understood why it mattered. Seriously, so what?

It's great to hear Dave Barry--I've enjoyed his columns & books for years. And 1 of his best columns wasn't funny: "The Accident," about the time his son was hit by a car on his bike (broke his arm). I still remember the line about how your child's fingers curled around your finger when he was a newborn...& how they don't ever let go.

May. 04 2010 01:41 PM
Anon

I'm disappointed to hear such classic misogyny and poor science literacy on wnyc. What cheap, tired humor.

May. 04 2010 01:36 PM
mer from Manhattan

I have only been able to read a few of his columns here and there. However, each and everytime I read him I laughed out loud. I have found him to be consistently funny.

May. 04 2010 01:32 PM