With the Abraham Lincoln Brigade

Friday, April 30, 2010

Film scholar Juan Salas talks about recently discovering an 18-minute film shot by Henri Cartier-Bresson called "With the Abraham Lincoln Brigade in Spain," made 1937-38. He’s be joined by Jeanne Houck, executive director of the Abraham Lincoln Brigade Archives, which is having a reunion program and reception on May 2 for New York City’s last Spanish Civil War activist.

Read an article by Juan Salas on finding the film here.

Event: Brigadistas & Activists: A Legacy Without Borders,’ the Abraham Lincoln Brigade Archives’ 74th Volunteers for Liberty reunion program and reception
Sunday, May 2, at 4:30 pm
Museo del Barrio, 1230 Fifth Avenue at 104th Street Tickets: $40; more information here.

Jeanne Houck, and Juan Salas

Linda Blakeley

My aunt, Sally, a nurse, and her husband went to Spain to fight against fascism during the Spanish Civil War. Sally was one of the 80 nurses who was part of the Lincoln Brigade along with her husband. He fought and died there. She returned to New York. I am not sure the year of her death.

Oct. 21 2012 06:11 PM
Anthony from California

Good point Therese, but I'm very sure that the women were not "technically" in the Abraham Lincoln Brigade. The only woman that I am aware of that was actually a member was Robert Hal Merriman's wife. But the women were heroes too. I don't think the male doctors were technically members of the ALB either.

My grandfather fought in the ALB and the Spanish Republican Army from 36-39.

Apr. 30 2010 11:58 PM
Jeanne Houck

The 1984 film The Good Fight features interviews with the U.S. men and women who went to fight fascism in the SCW. There were courageous American women in Spain who served as ambulance drivers and nurses (there were 80 nurses). Julia Newman's 2002 film, Into the Fire: American Women in the Spanish Civil War, tells their story. Thanks Therese for making sure the record is set straight.

Apr. 30 2010 08:56 PM
Alvin from Manhattan

When I applied for security clearance in the 1970s, there was a 1950s-era document I had to sign: "I am not now, nor have I been, a member of...." One of the many organizations listed was the Abraham Lincoln Brigade. No doubt this was due to the perceived Communist leanings of many of its members.

A humorous pop-culture reference: The satirist Tom Lehrer's song "Folksong Army" contains the following lyrics (from memory):
"Remember the war against Franco,
That's one where all of us belonged,
They may have won all the battles,
but we had all the good songs!"

Apr. 30 2010 12:52 PM
Therese Mageau from Brooklyn

Please remind Ms. Houck that women served in the Abraham Lincoln Brigade as well. She keeps saying "3000 men." And while most of them were men, there were a few amazing women who participated as well as ambulance drivers and the like. You can learn more about the men and women in the documentary "The Good Fight."

Apr. 30 2010 12:47 PM