The “Origin” Then and Now

Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Charles Darwin's Origin of Species is one of the most widely cited books in modern science. David Reznick explains how he made Darwin's masterwork accessible to a wider audience by deconstructing and reorganizing it to clarify its key concepts. His book The “Origin” Then and Now: An Interpretive Guide to the “Origin” of Species shows how many peculiarities of the Origin can be explained by the state of science in 1859, and he reconciles Darwin's concept of species with our current concept.

David Reznick

Ed from Larchmont

So is Darwinism compatible with belief in God? I would say yes.

Apr. 27 2010 04:57 PM
Hugh Sansom from Brooklyn NY

Very nice interview. Book sounds good. But I really miss Stephen Jay Gould.

Apr. 27 2010 01:58 PM
kp from nj

Great interview...really keeps moving...I guess I'll have to get the book...from the library...

Apr. 27 2010 01:57 PM
Phil Henshaw from new york

David, you might be the one to understand the dramatic series of spurts of accelerating evolutionary change I found in a plankton series (G. tumida).

Apr. 27 2010 01:56 PM
Laura from UWS

Great questions, Mr. Lopate! Thanks!

I'd like to add that when Darwin's faith in the Bible was shaken when he saw what the earthquake did in South America--Europeans never saw such huge upheavals and believed that the world looks exactly like God made it, plus The Flood. And they believed the earth is only thousands, not millions or billions of years old.

BTW, yes Mrs. Darwin was afraid they wouldn't be reunited in the afterlife.

Everything Darwin, most delicious resource, Richard Milner:

Apr. 27 2010 01:51 PM
SuzanneNYC from Upper West Side

Darwin knew evolution/natural selection needed time to effect change. But in his day, the earth was thought to be e 6000 years old which wasn't long enough. It wasn't until the early 20th C when Edwin Hubble discovered that the universe was expanding and the earth was actually much older than was previously thought.

Apr. 27 2010 01:45 PM
Hugh Sansom from Brooklyn NY

My understanding is that, in addition to concern over the reception of evolutionary theory, Darwin was also pathologically shy. Is that right? I'm pretty sure Theodore Huxley defended Darwin in Parliament (he became known as Darwin's bull dog, I think).

Apr. 27 2010 01:26 PM