Undereported: Brazil, Biofuels, and Deforrestation

Thursday, April 15, 2010

Plant-derived ethanol has long been touted as a green alternative to regular gasoline for cars. Since the 1970s, Brazil has embraced ethanol derived from sugar cane and lavished the sugar industry with government subsidies, making the biofuel cheap and plentiful. Today, 90% of new cars sold in Brazil can run on ethanol, and the country has avoided emitting hundreds of millions of tons of carbon into the atmosphere. But the explosion of sugar cane production for ethanol threatens the rainforest and could end up exacerbating global warming. We’ll talk to writer Nikolas Kozloff for today’s Underreported segment. He’s written about this issue for Foreign Policy Magazine and is also the author of No Rain in the Amazon.

Nikolas Kozloff
News, weather, Radiolab, Brian Lehrer and more.
Get the best of WNYC in your inbox, every morning.

mc from Murry Hill

Yes. There are many companies out there who prepare people if they are going to do press and media such as this. He really needs to look into that if he is going to be going on the radio to promote his book. That was torture!

Apr. 15 2010 01:58 PM
Bob from NYC

Ah,Ah I can't listen anymre

Apr. 15 2010 01:55 PM
JT from NYC

Uh, Brazil, uh Amazon, um, biodiversity, um so, um greater accountable. um. I was gonna turn him off but now I can't stop laughing! I should've "um" done a count. LOL.

Apr. 15 2010 01:54 PM
Megan from Brooklyn

While I myself may not be a fabulous public speaker, it is terribly painful to listen to this. I can't even focus on the content...hopefully he might be able to listen to it after the fact and find some help.

Apr. 15 2010 01:52 PM
kbinps from park slope

It is um tortuous to um listen to um Mr um Kosloff doing this um interview. I um am afraid I"m um going to um have to turn um off the um radio.

Apr. 15 2010 01:51 PM
Anthony from UWS

Uh, I can't listen to Kozloff, Uh, Talk!

I'm, Uh, turning my, Uh, radio off!

OMG!

Apr. 15 2010 01:49 PM
Tom (Upper West Side) from NYC

Uh, I would, uh, uh, uh, rather, uh, read this, uh, guy's book, uh, uh, than, listen to, uh, uh him speak!

Apr. 15 2010 01:48 PM