Make It Work!

Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Project Runway’s style mentor Tim Gunn talks about his role on the show, his career, his style guidelines, and about appearing as hero fighting crimes against fashion in Marvel’s comic Models, Inc.

He’s the author of Tim Gunn: A Guide to Quality, Taste & Style, and well known for his advice on how to make it work!

Tim Gunn

Benita from Upper West Side

You are a wonderful teacher, Tim, using the mantra "firm and kind" always. I have never heard you being unkind to any contestant. You set a fine example as a role model for teachers in general and for fashion mentors in particular. And bravo (no pun intended) on your splendid use of the English language! Would that that skill would impart itself to the youngsters you counsel.

Apr. 01 2010 11:14 AM
willyx from williamxburg

Hi Tim,
Haven't seen you since the Corcoran Days!
Congrats

Mar. 31 2010 01:52 PM
JT from NYC

Wow great interview. And Jonathan, I like what you're bringing to the table. Good job!

Mar. 31 2010 01:27 PM
CL

Another gem from the producers. Really, why does this crap continually get airplay on WNYC? More reason to rethink the donation.

Mar. 31 2010 01:26 PM
Jane D from NJ

I have always been aware of my body type. My problem is that few (if any lately) companies design clothing that fits broad shouldered, large busted (not huge) women. It seems that the arms and busts have been shrinking on shirts & jackets in recent years. And it's not me - my old ones fit me fine. There is money to be made for the designer/manufacturer who recognises this need.

Mar. 31 2010 01:23 PM
Steve from Brooklyn

My brother and I are science phd students. I know you're background is in fashion, but could you be our thesis advisers? We both agree that somehow you style would work for us.

Mar. 31 2010 01:19 PM
Jennifer from NYC

Hi Tim - you were my dept chair at Parsons! Love you! xo Jennifer Hamdan

Mar. 31 2010 01:12 PM
Maude from Manhattan

I think your support and kindness to the designers makes a wonderful foil to the sometimes harsh criticism from the judges. (your kindness is missing from many other copycat shows)

how do you remain so present and unflappable? do you do yoga or meditate?

Mar. 31 2010 01:12 PM
bvc from Trenton, NJ

TIM!!! I want to work for you!!

Mar. 31 2010 01:08 PM
clonshee from nj

Who doesn't love the impeccable Tim Gunn, who can criticize painlessly and teach the home audience while helping the designers?

But what is going on with those judges? Tim, can you comment on why the show allows pointless, bullying ridicule, such as MIchael Kors' out of control (and unjustified) flailing at Jonathan this season?

Someone should stop Kors from embarrassing himself --he can never be Simon Cowell; he just doesn't have the looks and charisma that allows Simon Cowell to get away with the nastiness.

Mar. 31 2010 12:59 PM
Aissa from NJ

Tim, you are such an inspiration! I wish everyone could have such a caring and supportive mentor.

Mar. 31 2010 12:30 PM