So Much for That

Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Lionel Shriver discusses her most recent novel, So Much for That, about a man whose plan to retire to an idyllic Third World locale where his nest egg can last forever is derailed when his wife is diagnosed with a serious illness and needs his health insurance.

Lionel Shriver

Chris Williams from Seattle, WA

Small correction from the interview - Steve McQueen's case of mesothelioma was suggested to have been caused by asbestos materials (Lenoard suggests it was not asbestos related to his knowledge). Although a smoker, he felt his early exposure to asbestos on a troop ship while in the Marines during his youth was the most likely cause. He had additional exposure later while performing stunts, and with protective equipment while racing. This is something I've read in different accounts of his death. The only source I could find (quickly) is listed below.

Source:
Interview with Burgh Joy, clinical professor at UCLA, personal archives of Barbara McQueen, 1980

Mar. 15 2010 03:17 PM
rebjam from NYC UES

Glad to hear about this novel. My brother was believed to have FD for many years. He's 35 and finally had the genetic test--nope not FD. Non-Familial Dysautonomia. . .if only 350 people worldwide have FD, how many have non-FD?

And sometimes it takes a reminder from the outside to see what's happening in the thick of things. I don't begrudge an ex-pat writing about their homeland and its challenges.

Mar. 12 2010 11:08 AM
Amy from Melville

Sounds like a pretty good book - I was disappointed when her passage was cut off. Guess I'll have to go out and read for myself. Also, saw in the NY Times obituary that this very rare cancer is out there.

Mar. 11 2010 02:38 PM
Gene

>>Sometimes it seems we live in a country that is ruled by sheer hysteria.

Case closed.

Mar. 10 2010 01:26 PM
john from office

Len, why does she comeback to this backward nation, to make money??. She should stay in England.

Mar. 10 2010 01:22 PM
john from office

another, so called intellectual that moves to Europe and belittles her nation from afar. Leave and go back to England, please.

Mar. 10 2010 01:21 PM
Gene

??

What's that supposed to mean, Whitney?

Mar. 10 2010 01:21 PM
Gene

What a crazy FCC glitch!

I was really interested in this passage.

Sometimes it seems we live in a country that is ruled by sheer hysteria.

PS: I guess mesothelioma _is_ rare, 3000 deaths/year, though I'm well aware of it.

If you're a smoker and exposed to asbestos, your chance of developing it rises by a factor of 10.

Mar. 10 2010 01:19 PM
Whitney from Jersey City

of course it wouldn't be the LL show without a Jewish-related segment.

Mar. 10 2010 01:17 PM