Please Explain: Chiropractic

Friday, February 19, 2010

On today's Please Explain we’ll look into chiropractic, used to treat back pain with spinal manipulation and adjustment. We’ll also discuss why it’s controversial, and new research into how it works and how it could be used to treat TMJ, headaches, even high blood pressure. We’re joined by Christine Goertz, D.C., Ph.D, Vice Chancellor for Research and Health Policy at Palmer College of Chiropractic in Davenport, Iowa, and James N. Dillard, M.D., D.C., C.Ac., former assistant clinical professor at Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons, and former Medical Director of Columbia's Rosenthal Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine, and author of The Chronic Pain Solution.

James N. Dillard, and Christine Goertz,
News, weather, Radiolab, Brian Lehrer and more.
Get the best of WNYC in your inbox, every morning.

Dr. Wayne Poller

I have practiced Chiropractic for 29 years,have never been sued for malpractice. The question of safety begins and ends with the fact that our malpractice premiums have not increased one penny in 29 years!!Chiropractic gets results where other healing arts have failed, otherwise we would have been put out of practice 100 years ago!P.S. I have "treated" no less than 3 of Dr. Sarno's former patients where it wasn't "in the head"

Oct. 15 2010 05:42 PM
chiropractic conway from http://www.arkansasdecompression.com

Nice topics,I know Arkansas Spinal Care Conway, AR is their commitment to their patients has led their to using the DRX spinal decompression equipment for low back pain.

Mar. 21 2010 07:22 PM
ET from NJ

WOW! These comments reveal much is unknown about chiropractic. Schedule 10 more shows!
What a shame! We're on the train of national bankrupcy of which healthcare is the locomotive. Yet all we want is more access to the same system? Medicine is the #3 cause of death in the USA (#1-Dr Gary Null). If medicine has "the science" behind it and led us "here",keep the science, voodoo can't be worse.

Feb. 20 2010 12:16 PM
John H from Stony Point NY

One comment wondered if there are still any elements out there trying to discredit chiropractic. The truth is that there deep rooted beliefs instilled in peoples minds from the AMA. There are fundamental differences between allopathic medicine(outside in) and Vitalistic Chiropractic(inside out healing)which will never be on the same page. To consider chiropractic for back pain only is like limiting medicine to treating only stomach aches.

Feb. 19 2010 02:30 PM
Bradley Lipton from NYC 1 west 34th Street

As a chiropractor who specializes in the treatment of pregnant woman in NYC(who often suffer from bio-mechanical back pain) with very good results, I am often asked and unable to defend my fellow chiropractors who feel they can impact the bodies systems under the control of the autonomic nervous system. Can you comment on the effectiveness of effecting systems other then the bio-mechanical problems.

Feb. 19 2010 02:14 PM
Rob from Cranford NJ

An expensive and addictive placebo. I suggest you interview Dr. John Sarno of NYU, or read his "The Divided Mind". And call two fellow radio people, Howard Stern and Marty Goldensohn, for their opinions. Howard's name is on the book cover, and Marty, as I recall, wrote a humorous article years back.

Feb. 19 2010 01:57 PM
anita mcfarlane from astoria

I have been helped many times by chiropractors. Most recently after a fall on my knee where he was able to re-adjust the joint and help me to walk again. He also employed acupuncture and energy healing and spoke to my "wholistic" self which was also very healing. I once had shingles, that showed up in my mouth and neither the emergency room doctor or the dentist were able to identify it. But a chiropractor did and within one hour of treatment from her (which also included acupuncture)the shingles started to go down. And speaking as a yoga teacher - the spine is the center of the movement of energy through the body so it makes sense that manipulation of it can help.

Feb. 19 2010 01:57 PM
Fred from New York

Dale: Re: John Sarno, MD ... After treating a decade of chronic back pain treatment by Chiropractic, Massage, Physical Therapy, Medication, etc., Dr. Sarno ended my mysery. His book, "The Mindbody Prescription", changed my life and my opinion about all other modalities of treatment. I was in his program at NYU and would certainly recommend checking it out after reading his book, if the book alone does not remedy the problem.

Feb. 19 2010 01:57 PM
Monica from NYC

Could you please ask your guests if any molecular details are known about the action of adjustments ? What about the 'adhesions/knots' in the muscles ? Also if the adjustment is on the joint, and no work is done of the muscles and cognitively on the posture, how can this induce long term changes ? Wouldn't the muscles from bad posture put stress on the articulation and bring it back to were it was ? Thanks ! I am a scientist at NYU so any peer-reviewed references would be great.

Feb. 19 2010 01:55 PM
deborah from baltimore md

I've done both chiro and acupuncture - i would never do chiro again, because acupuncture was so much better, and with far less visits. Also it's a much older tradition.

Feb. 19 2010 01:53 PM
Hal from Crown Heights

Sciatica is compression of the sciatic nerve, often at the piriformis muscle.

Feb. 19 2010 01:51 PM
Nick from Soho

Your guests have mentioned that the AMA tried to eradicate any competing forms of healthcare such as chiropractic. Is there still an element out there still actively working to discredit chiropractic?

Feb. 19 2010 01:49 PM
Catherine from Rockville Centre

Chiropractic has helped me when I had severe back pain and stiffness. It has a very MINOR place in health care. However, I have gone from being an advocate of chiropractic to someone who (if asked) advises people against it. I have seen many different chiropractors over the years. Almost all have a disturbingly over-confident, almost fundamentalist view of what chiropractic can accomplish. Once they do their initial overview, when I go in, they ask few questions and just start cracking. They use x-rays excessively. They do not refer their patients to more appropriate modalities because they believe chiropractic can solve all problems.

I have achieved far greater results with yoga and massage, although I don't deny that chiropractic had its benefits to me early on.

Feb. 19 2010 01:44 PM
andy from New York

could your guests please comment on "Network Chiropractics?" It is a different branch.

Feb. 19 2010 01:43 PM
JP from NJ

Why is it that I know just as many people who have been hurt by a chiropractor as have been helped? I know people that have been hurt through traditional medicine and lord knows there is more then one bad doctor out there. But it seems like a lot more people I know have been hurt by chiropractors then traditional medicine. Please explain this discrepancy?

Feb. 19 2010 01:43 PM
Julie

Your guests spoke about doctors, osteopaths etc what about the cross over with physical therapists, especially now that physical therapists have a doctoral degree. There is a lot of controversy going on now between the 2 professions and who should be doing what.

Feb. 19 2010 01:42 PM
sharon from englewood, n.j.

why do chiropractors need more then one visit? It seems to me that they try to get you to come back as often as possible.

Feb. 19 2010 01:42 PM
danielle jensen from manh

is chiropractic adjustment useful or advisable for
herniated discs?

Feb. 19 2010 01:41 PM
Zen from South Salem

When my son was one year old , he suffered from ear infection after ear infection. His pediatrition just kept prescribing the same medication. My wife found a great chiropractor in Katonah and in two visits my sons ear infecvtions were gone !!!!!!!!! The chiropractor said the ear canals are so small at that age that even a slight misalignment on the neck could restrict them. He was right !!! Fixed with no more medication.

Feb. 19 2010 01:41 PM
jane Gennaro from NYC

Do your guests know about or agree that the Alexander Technique is a good theraputic technique or is it the
opposite of Chiropractic?

Feb. 19 2010 01:41 PM
Mike C. from Tribeca

"This concept of placebo effect"? Research on the placebo effect has made great strides in the past ten years. Not to sound harsh, but your guest should update their data base.

Feb. 19 2010 01:39 PM
Jonathan from Brooklyn

Is there any study or proof that chiropractic may have been used in any other culture at any other time? The 1800's seem a bit late in the history of the world and medicine for chiropractic to first be used in treatment.

Feb. 19 2010 01:39 PM
Vinay from Washington Heights

What are the politics of health insurance and Chiropractic? Many pay for Chiropractic but not osteopathic treatements. I wonder why this is the case.

Feb. 19 2010 01:38 PM
Dan W. from Williamsburg

I have been told by a chiropractor (who has worked on me several times) that knots in muscle are actually "adhesions" between different muscle layers. Is that correct and could you explain that further?

Feb. 19 2010 01:37 PM
Estelle from Austin

What exactly is an osteopath?

Feb. 19 2010 01:36 PM
Dale from Brooklyn

Any opinions about Dr. John Sarno at NYU who suggests that a lot of pain is psychosomatic? I haven't read any of his work yet, but a friend was recommending it.

Feb. 19 2010 01:36 PM
the truth!! from BKNY

What is the upper right shoulder? Back? Joint?

Feb. 19 2010 01:35 PM
Jerome from Prospect Heights, Brooklyn

I have had only positive experiences with chiropractic treatment, but I have seen a billboard campaign along highways in Connecticut raising alarm about the supposed dangers of "chiropractic stroke". Please have your guests comment on this matter; how valid are these claims of serious health risks associated with chiropractic?

Feb. 19 2010 01:32 PM
Mike C. from Tribeca

I highly recommend Robert L. Park's recent book "Superstition; Belief in the Age of Science," as well as Martin Gardner's classic "Fads and Fallacies in the Name of Science," for information on how these "alternative medicine" adherents operate.

Feb. 19 2010 01:31 PM
PL Hayes from Aberystwyth

Why not “chiropractic medicine”? Because the correct term is “chiropractic quackery”.

Feb. 19 2010 01:29 PM
Hal from Crown Heights

Wouldn't one expect the result of a pinched nerve to be paresthesia?

Feb. 19 2010 01:27 PM
Mike C. from Tribeca

I hope you will introduce a note of skepticism to this subject. This country is overrun by quackery.

Feb. 19 2010 01:25 PM
binky from brooklyn

The skeptic's view:

I hope that issues discussed on these sites will be raised during the show!
PS - let's read this page after the interview:

Feb. 19 2010 01:22 PM