The Secret World of Corporate Espionage

Tuesday, February 09, 2010

Eamon Javers discusses the rise of corporate spying, which has stretched into almost every industry in almost every corner of the globe. In Broker, Trader, Lawyer, Spy: The Secret World of Corporate Espionage, he delves into the checkered history of corporate spying, looks at the methods—from setting up fake websites, trailing people, sorting through household and corporate trash, satellite surveillance, and hacking e-mail and secure computer networks.

Eamon Javers

superf88

(PS

you do realize that much of what these guys are doing is what the ideal journalist would do if they had unlimited time and money, right? And that this is what paranoid governments like N. Korea, China, Iran assume US journalists ARE doing, hence the whole imprisoned thingie...)

Feb. 09 2010 01:09 PM
superf88

I am going out and buying this book TODAY...thanks LL for putting it on my radar.

Sounds like all the corporate brains found a home!

Feb. 09 2010 01:06 PM
Hugh Sansom from Brooklyn NY

This segment now joins a handful of recent others (John Wargo on environmental pollution) and Garry Wills, Bomb Power) in leaving me thinking that our civilization is fundamentally changing in a deeply troubling (perhaps deeply awful) way.

Feb. 09 2010 12:40 PM
goWAnus from nyc

I happen to know for a fact that my brokerage firm was spied on a financial tv network after I said a few very controversial things on a related website. I began to notice very very strange behavior on the live TV show that directly correlated to my behavior, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure these things out.

Feb. 09 2010 12:39 PM
CJ from NY

I don't like the way yahoo mail pulls contacts from my sent email folder and asks if I want updates from them. These aren't my contacts just recipents I sent an email to at some point.

Feb. 09 2010 12:39 PM
goWAnus from nyc

please ask about any spy activities carried out by television networks and Wall Street.
what can citizens being spied on do if they know they are spied on by a wall street firm/network?

Feb. 09 2010 12:31 PM
bruce

Can your guest tell us about Stewart Nozette recently aprehended for passing classified staellite secrets to a forifgn aerospace company

Feb. 09 2010 12:21 PM
john from office

Do political parties hire these guys.

Feb. 09 2010 12:12 PM
Hugh Sansom from Brooklyn NY

Why is detective work spying? How is the work different from the "data-mining" that corporations are doing on us?

Feb. 09 2010 12:10 PM