Tom Valenti's Diabetic Cookbook

Wednesday, December 30, 2009

There are some 23.6 million people living with diabetes in America, and now there’s a cookbook for diabetic food lovers who don’t want to sacrifice taste. Tom Valenti, called one of America's Ten Best Chefs by Food & Wine, has written You Don’t Have to Be Diabetic to Love This Cookbook: 250 Amazing Dishes for People with Diabetes and Their Families and Friends, with innovative recipes that never resorting to imitation products.

Jeffrey Slott from East Elmhurst

As a Type 1 for over 40 years, allow me to put my own two cents in:
It's not carbohydrates that Diabetics have to maintain precautions against; it's simple sugars like those found in pastries, cakes, etc. and refined flour. Consuming complex sugars like those found in pasta, rice, corn, sweet potatoes, cous-cous, etc. should present no problem; as long as you don't overdo it, of course.
I see no problem eating whole eggs, period. I just try to avoid those from chickens imprisoned in industrial factories. Again, I don't overdo it.

Dec. 31 2009 09:03 AM
Ro from SoHo

Hello Michelle in Weston,

Is this Connecticut? I am assuming so....

Perhaps you could try shopping at your local farmer's markets & local small stores rather than buying supposedly-fresh ingredients from them as you say they don't sell fresh herbs in their produce section.

Using powdered herbs is buying dust.There is NO equivalent between fresh and powdered in herbs.

"Spanish onions' is just a term for regular yellow onions. I agree, the terminology could be simplified.

It's such a shame that you sound pretty upset. In kindness and humility, may I suggest that you try shopping more widely in stores that you may not have tried in your neighborhood and talk to the vendors about their wares. You may find all sorts of wonderful ingredients that will help you to appreciate your own recipes - never mind Chef Valenti's.

Dec. 30 2009 02:02 PM
Telegram Sam from Staten Island

I don't get it... He started talking about eating everything, just in moderation. Now he's talking about going to restaurants and re-making their menus...? No one gets Type II diabetes from an occasional restaurant splurge. It's from years of abusing their bodies.

Dec. 30 2009 01:21 PM
Yukari Sakamoto from NYC/Tokyo

Chef Tom, your Soups, Stews, and One-Pot Meals has become a welcome friend in our kitchen. Thanks for keeping us well fed at home.

Dec. 30 2009 01:12 PM
Michelle from Weston

from the Amazon reviews:

his mains are not for everyday people. How many folks do you know who pop down and pick up duck legs, or a huge shank of lamb? How many only buy fresh herbs (he lists amounts for fresh herbs, but never their powdered equivalents)? And what the hell is his fascination with "spanish onions," which feature in virtually every recipe?

If you want to make a cookbook for haute cuisine, I think it should be marketed as such; this is not for everyday people, at least not regarding most of the courses which require too much preparation, too many strange ingredients, and access to fresh herbs that, frankly, I've never seen outside of being dried and powdered.

Dec. 30 2009 01:11 PM
GW from Manhatan

How about some recipes that feature foods that are positive with respect to insulin and maintaining blood sugar levels, like bitter melon and sweet potatoes (amongst others) .. There are many and I think it would be wise to incorporate them into the menu.

Dec. 30 2009 11:25 AM