The New Golden Age of Television

Thursday, December 17, 2009

We all know "I Love Lucy," "The Honeymooners," and "The Andy Griffith Show" from the Golden Age of Television, but are "The Wire," "30 Rock," and "Mad Men" part of a new Golden Age of Television? Emily Nussbaum, Culture Editor of New York magazine, and Alan Sepinwall, TV Critic for the Star-Ledger, give us their takes on the decade’s best television.

Emily Nussbaum, and Alan Sepinwall

Eric from New Jersey

This decade we had Curb your Enthusiasm, Battlestar Galactica, True Blood, Dexter, Arrested Development, Mad Men, The Office, and countless other programs I can't even name at the moment.

I think without a doubt we're in a Golden Age. I wasn't too particularly fond of the music this decade, but without a doubt, the 2000s had better television than the 90s, 80s, 70s, and 60s.

At least, in my opinion the increased competition against Cable has had some desirable repercussions entertainment-wise on the networks.

Dec. 17 2009 09:28 PM
Cynthia from long island

island
December 17, 2009 - 01:29PM
I think JGarbuz is mistaken. It's not a lack of talent. I think that talent is essentially dormant thanks to tv and other banal forms of entertainment.

(My friend'd brother actually said the other day he is more interested in his facebook garden than he is in having a girlfirend.)

We've spent so much time being "entertained" that we have lost connection to our own creativity. Thus all the remakes, re-issues, etc. TV is a drug.

Dec. 17 2009 01:34 PM
Cynthia from long island

(My friend'd brother actually said the other day he is more interested in his garden facebook then in having a girlfirend.)

Dec. 17 2009 01:29 PM
CJ from NY

Sex and The City? This was a good show maybe for the first few episodes. Then it started downhill.

The thing is we don't watch tv out of how interesting the show is. It is more out of boredom and loyalty to the franchise.

Dec. 17 2009 01:24 PM
mozo from nyc

One more thing. "Lost" wouldn't exist without "Twin Peaks".

And ultimately, #7, Cynthia is spot on.

Dec. 17 2009 01:21 PM
Jgarbuz from Queens, NY

I predicted 30 years ago, when cable was in its infancy, that the increase in QUANTITY would inversely only bring a decrease in QUALITY! There's only that much finite talent to go around. You can increase bandwidth, but not talent.

Dec. 17 2009 01:21 PM
Sandra from Astoria, Queens

The critics haven't mentioned "Dexter"--easily the best show around right now!

Dec. 17 2009 01:21 PM
Jim B from W. Orange, NJ

The term "Golden Age of Television" also refers to the central role television played in post WWII American culture, so much so that the medium became the message. Aesthetics aside, TV critics, admit that that role now belongs to the internet.

Dec. 17 2009 01:19 PM
mozo from nyc

"Twin Peaks" became a template for a lot of shows to follow ("Northern Exposure" comes to mind). Arguably the last original show to come from network TV.

Dec. 17 2009 01:18 PM
james from Brooklyn

Strangers with Candy: not the greatest show but something I could watch over and over again.

Dec. 17 2009 01:18 PM
Jgarbuz from Queens, NY

One of the best shows on Tv of the last decade, "Monk" hasn't even been mentioned. There are only three TV shows I watch at all (besides the news shows): Monk, the Simpsons, and the Colbert Report. Everything else is pretty much cr*p!

Dec. 17 2009 01:18 PM
Cynthia from long island

TV just sells products.

Dec. 17 2009 01:15 PM
Yvette from New York

Yeah, let's top of the decade of this new Golden Age with a "I go Rogue reality show by Sarah Palin"....guys....really!!!!

Dec. 17 2009 01:12 PM
mozo from nyc

A new golden age? You are forgetting this age is also responsible for "Jersey Shore", "Keeping Up With The Kardashians" (don't know if I spelled the family name right, don't care), "Jon and Kate Plus 8" (now gone, thank God), and just about any other reality show you can think of.

Almost forgot. Fox News. Ed Murrow would be proud.

Dec. 17 2009 01:07 PM
George from Bay Ridge

In an interview on Charlie Rose several years ago, Conan O'Brien commented that he believed we were in a second golden age for television.

What do your guests think of foreign television shows such as Top Gear on the BBC?

What has been the decade's worst television?

Dec. 17 2009 03:42 AM