Don’t Touch Me

Thursday, December 03, 2009

Comedian and host of "Deal or No Deal" Howie Mandel describes his ongoing struggle to overcome Obsessive Compulsive Disorder and ADHD, and how has it shaped his life and career. His book Here’s the Deal: Don’t Touch Me is a frank, funny account of his effort to find comic inspiration in his darkest, most vulnerable places.

Howie Mandel

James Cahn from Norwalk, CT

Howie: "My book is about..."

Leonard: "I'm going to let you tell your story..."

Bravo, Leonard. Anyone else interviewing Howie Mandel about his ADD and OCD would've merited a station change.

Dec. 03 2009 02:01 PM
Amy from Manhattan

Yes, ADHD occurs in combination with other neurological/psychiatric disorders, incl. not only OCD but also depression, anxiety, substance use disorder, & autistic spectrum disorders. It's considered *likely* that adults with ADHD will have at least 1 other psychatric disorder at some point, & diagnosing/treating only 1 can allow the other to progress.

To aaron [4], if you're still reading--"autistic spectrum" includes Asperger's, so you may have that in addition to OCD rather than instead of it. And there are different degrees of OCD, so you may have a milder form, sometimes called obsessive-compulsive personality (rather than disorder).

Dec. 03 2009 01:14 PM
jake from Brooklyn

Raoul!!!!

Dec. 03 2009 12:58 PM
jess from brooklyn

I really appreciate Howie's candor and humor. I don't think there are many people that are brave enough to be this honest. Whether he knows it or not, i believe he is helping many people by speaking out about his experience.

Dec. 03 2009 12:53 PM
aaron

I was diagnosed with OCD, but then as I learned more about it, I realized that it was a lot harder for other people than it was for me. So I realized I couldn't possibly be OCD, and discovered I'm aspergers instead.

Dec. 03 2009 12:52 PM
Siouxie from Bronx

Leonard - LOVING the way you're swinging this interview. What a complete delight the way you bounce off each other!

Dec. 03 2009 12:51 PM
sm

Thank you for clarifying the difference between "cleanliness" and the urge to purge whatever residual dirt (as in the hand-washing effect). The shoelace thing still affects me to this day!

Dec. 03 2009 12:47 PM
Nancy from PA

What's it like for Howie to watch Monk?

Dec. 03 2009 12:41 PM