If We Can Put a Man on the Moon

Thursday, December 03, 2009

William Eggers and John O'Leary discusses how we can renew our trust in our government and renew its legacy of competence. In If We Can Put a Man on the Moon: Getting Big Things Done in Government, they remind American people who might be frustrated with the government, the war in Iraq, and the financial meltdown that our nation has a long history of great achievements.

William Eggers and John O'Leary

Art WHite from Brooklyn

Congestion pricing in London is not the boon your guests say, they can reel off the statistics that they are fed by interested parties all they want but the reality is that all the congestion zone did is push traffic into the ring outside it, Camden Town, Islington, Kilburn to the north for example.I know I'm a Londoner. Of course it's also a regressive tax, never a good thing. I support government action, but not of this kind which just pushes the problem and the costs onto a less powerful constituency.

Your guests show that they are too reliant on stats and not actually aware of the realities on the ground. It makes me suspicious of everything they say.

PS Just heard the gaff about New Orleans. It's far more likely that the school gains are because the most vulnerable have been pushed out never to return. It would be more conducive to use this data to study the impact of poverty on educational achievement.

Dec. 03 2009 12:39 PM
markbnj from www.sos-newdeal.blogspot.com

I would recommend these authors to read my blog, and see how some of my ideas might work in their framework to make the country better.

Dec. 03 2009 12:38 PM
markbnj from www.sos-newdeal.blogspot.com

Talking about Overreach and the Big Dig.

I disagree that JUST because the Government pays for a project means that costs will go up.

I strongly feel that my concept for extending the Eisenhower highway system by adding Heavy (and light rail) to it will make

Economic Sense
Green (energy saving) sense
Job creation sense

and a way of having a HUGE public project SUCCESS
(even the tricky part of shoehorning a subway onto the van wyck expressway(over Robert Moses' dead body)

that is TOTALLY doable today, to give a success!

Dec. 03 2009 12:27 PM
David Hume from Staten Island, NY

Past success is no guarantee of future success. Just believing things will get better does not make it so.

Dave

Dec. 03 2009 12:20 PM
markbnj from www.sos-newdeal.blogspot.com

The Tolstoy Trap.

This is exactly what I say is causing the problems today with Healthcare, as well as the idea that "Obama must fail" from the republicans.

Overcoming this could be helped with POLITICAL reform (such as campaign refinancing...)

that affect this problem greatly...

Dec. 03 2009 12:18 PM
markbnj from www.sos-newdeal.blogspot.com

Interesting. I think this discussion is extremely relevant.

In my blog (sos-newdeal.blogspot.com)

I discuss a number of programs we COULD implement POSITIVE CHANGE and stability to our country.

(See specifically, rebuilding the National Highway system (with heavy rail lines added),
as well as a "manhattan" project devoted to ENERGY conservation, as well as MANUFACTURING,

ANd also a training program (based on the Army/military model) for unemployed,...

I commend these authors.

Dec. 03 2009 12:15 PM
Gabrielle from Brooklyn

does the ineffectiveness of government coincide with the rise of corporations (and corporate power) in our country?

Dec. 03 2009 08:40 AM