Twyla Tharp's Collaborative Habit

Monday, November 30, 2009

Throughout her 40-year career, choreographer Twyla Tharp has collaborated with musicians, designers, thousands of dancers, and almost a hundred companies. In The Collaborative Habit: Life Lessons for Working Together, she explains why collaboration is important to her, how to collaborate successfully in your own life, and the lessons she learned in her successful collaborations Billy Joel, Jerome Robbins, Mikhail Baryshnikov, Bob Dylan, Elvis Costello, David Byrne, Richard Avedon, Milos Forman, Norma Kamali, and Frank Sinatra, among others.

Event: Twyla Tharp will be signing books
Wednesday, December 2, at 7:30 pm
Barnes & Noble, Lincoln Triangle
1972 Broadway, at 66th Street

Twyla Tharp
News, weather, Radiolab, Brian Lehrer and more.
Get the best of WNYC in your inbox, every morning.

Jon bozak from brooklyn, ny

@6 Thanks, for the good humor. I know my first response was up for interpretation. I do get a kick out of some of the guests who don't necessarily have "radio-friendly" voices. I do cherish the WNYC afternoon lineup -- they could have Harvey Fierstein doing a Drill Sargent impression for 30mins and I'd still hang in there. Cheers back!

Nov. 30 2009 02:12 PM
A. Listener

[[[5] Jon bozak from brooklyn, ny
November 30, 2009 - 01:40PM
@4 I would have turned it off if not for the aneurism. My motor skills are a bit off right now, but I am dragging myself across the floor, very slowly and very painfully toward the radio. It's quite ironic actually, because I believe as a choreographer, Ms. Tharp, if she where here, could address my lack of coordination and advise me on the proper body language in my journey.]]

ha! good one. she is neither the least nor the most articulate person ever to have been on this program. but, in all honesty, your point and humor are well taken.

i'm cutting her some slack because of who she is and because i'm hoping she'll answer the question about monk.

cheers.

Nov. 30 2009 01:46 PM
Jon bozak from brooklyn, ny

Nov. 30 2009 01:40 PM
A. Listener

<<[3] Jon bozak from brooklyn, ny November 30, 2009 - 01:26PM Wow, Ms. Tharp's lovely radio voice just gave me a brain aneurysm. Ouch.>>

she's a choreographer, not a singer. turn off your radio/computer if you are not happy.

Nov. 30 2009 01:28 PM
Jon bozak from brooklyn, ny

Wow, Ms. Tharp's lovely radio voice just gave me a brain aneurysm. Ouch.

Nov. 30 2009 01:26 PM
A. Listener

Can Ms. Tharp talk about an instance in which she a desire to work with a specific person and created a new piece and an instance in which she had a specific type of work in mind and sought out a good partner?

Nov. 30 2009 01:26 PM
Joe Adams from Bergen County, New Jersey

Would Ms. Tharp consider choreographing the music of the great Thelonious Monk? The magnificent MYSTERIOSO would be perfect.

Nov. 30 2009 07:04 AM