Please Explain: Strokes

Friday, November 20, 2009

On today’s Please Explain, we take a close look at strokes—the causes, effects, and therapeutic and medical advances that help people recover. We're joined by Dr. Randolph S. Marshall, chief of the Division of Stroke, Columbia University Medical Center, and Dr. Jay P. Mohr, Daniel Sciarra Professor of Clinical Neurology, Columbia University Medical Center.

Kate Conway from NY

Fashion show - not yet, but, very soon!

Nov. 20 2009 05:35 PM
Kate Conway from NY

I have aphasia, and stroke, and coma, and brain aneurysm in 2005. I initially unable to get out of bed, speak, read, or write.

But, I am better. Not yet - but, soon. Yay, me.

So,

I run a group, my Aphasia. Please visit that: http://aneurysm.meetup.com/81/

And, I am doing fashion show (for Aphasia Awareness)
And more!

You got question, please e-mail me. kate.theresa.conway@gmail.com

Nov. 20 2009 05:31 PM
csh from NJ

Here is a study that found that vitamin D deficiency was an independent predictor of fatal stroke:

Nov. 20 2009 02:13 PM
Joan Louie from Rockaway Beach, NY

My husband was diagnosed with multiple bleeds in his brain after suffering a stroke at age 40 - what could have caused them? that is still unknown so he doesn't know what to avoid - he has no family history of strokes

Nov. 20 2009 02:00 PM
Meryl from brooklyn

My daughter is 13 today. When she was about 7 years old, she fell down some steps but seemed ok. But about 45 minutes later, she began to slowly lose focus and then lost consciousness. She regained consciousness about 15-10 minutes later, as she was being wheeled into the hospital.

She was kept under observation for a few days, but there we never get a clear explanation for what happened. She has never had a problem since then--six years ago-- so I assume it was just a concussion. Is that fair, and should we be following up in any way?

Nov. 20 2009 01:48 PM
Barry Jackson from Montclair NJ

I have had a "mini stroke" during which it was clear that I had lost my speech faculties; but I have many, many smaller episodes of the brain, where there is "step functional" change in what is going on.

I am being treated with several medications. Any, the discussion is quite exciting, because your doctors are so clear and quick in their explanations.

I hope to live to a ripe old age, and not have more trouble

Nov. 20 2009 01:48 PM
Alison from Upper West Side

Would the Doctors talk about the side effects of Statins - some of them are dangerous.

Nov. 20 2009 01:48 PM
antonio from park slope

what foods can help strengthen the arteries?

Nov. 20 2009 01:47 PM
Kit from East Village

I remember learning about the "blood-brain barrier" in school. In strokes, are there complications that can result from infections etc. through contact between blood and neural tissue?

Nov. 20 2009 01:43 PM
Gary from Port Washington

Why does the MTHFR gene mutation cause an increased risk of stroke and heart disease?

The official name of this gene is “5,10-methylenetetrahydrofolate reductase (NADPH).

Nov. 20 2009 01:43 PM
Mireille Liong from brooklyn, NY

My sister had a stroke. Does medicine really help to prevent future strokes?

Nov. 20 2009 01:42 PM
Robert from Albany,NY

Do you believe Omega 3 fatty acid consumption, or other nutritional supplements, reduce stroke risk?

Nov. 20 2009 01:42 PM
Lou from Yonkers

how common is the confusion between stroke related behaviors and memory loss and Alzheimer disease?

Nov. 20 2009 01:42 PM
anonyme

Talk abotu Jill Bolte Taylor's experience with stroke? She is a brain anatomist who was working at Harvard (I think) when she watched herself having a stroke

Nov. 20 2009 01:38 PM
Anina from greenwich village

I've heard of two stroke situations that terrify me: one, a woman of about 75, from extreme laughter (of the type where you feel like you can barely catch your breath). The woman was about 60-70 pounds overweight, in case that's relevant.

Two: a man of about 60 had a stroke while having intercourse. He was diabetic, in case that's relevant, and possibly had heart issues.

Were these strokes possibly triggered by the general state of the health of the victims? If it's likely to happen to someone in relatively good health, that's pretty terrifying. (I'm thinking especially of the straining to reach orgasm--how much of a risk? )

Nov. 20 2009 01:37 PM
Alison from Upper West Side

I've heard that acupuncture is quite effective in helping someone regain functionality after a stroke. Do your guests agree with this?

Nov. 20 2009 01:33 PM