The Original of Laura

Monday, November 16, 2009

Vladimir Nabokov’s biographer Brian Boyd and graphic designer Chip Kidd, describe turning Nabokov’s 138 hand-written index cards for his last, unfinished novel into book form. That book, The Original of Laura, has now been published, 30 years after it was written.

Event: Brian Boyd and Chipp Kidd, along with Martin Amis, will be discussing Nabokov, and reading from The Original of Laura, its first-ever public reading, as part of "A Celebration of Vladimir Nabokov." A selection of Nabokov's original hand-written index cards will also be on view.
Monday, November 16, exhibition begins at 6:30 pm, talk begins at 8:00 pm
92nd Street Y
1395 Lexington Avenue
Tickets: $27; $10 for those 35 and under. More information and tickets here.

Brian Boyd and Chip Kidd,

cb_nyc from UWS

Siouxie: Many cultural organizations, esp not-for-profits, have reduced prices for younger audiences. Not at all unusual. Upward age creep from what you may have taken advantage -- the good, old student discount. ;-)

Sorry if I went OT.

Nov. 16 2009 05:41 PM
IMHO

Interesting conversation. I'm multi-tasking and only taking in snippets, but I'm thinking I should look into Nabokov. I hadn't had a sense of when he was writing...interesting that he was born in 1899 and lived into the 1970s...from steam engines to space flight.

Nov. 16 2009 12:57 PM
Siouxie from Bronx

What's with above event's $10 ticket price for those "35 and younger"? Is the Y trying to attract a younger audience? Never heard of such a thing.

As a mature (over 35) reader and great fan of Nabokov and Martin Amis, I am offended. I would have loved to attend this.

Nov. 16 2009 12:47 PM
mozo from nyc

These guys are clownshoes.

Nov. 16 2009 12:47 PM
mozo from nyc

Let us not pretend that this is about art, literature or preservation. It's about money. So much for respecting the wishes of the dead. Writers and other artists, take heed.

Nov. 16 2009 12:24 PM