The Children’s Book

Wednesday, October 28, 2009

A. S. Byatt discusses her new novel, The Children’s Book. The story spans the Victorian era through World War I, and tells the story of a famous children's book author and the passions, betrayals, and secrets that surround her.

Events: A. S. Byatt will be reading and signing books
Wednesday, October 28, at 7:00 pm
The Strand
828 Broadway at 12th Street

A. S. Byatt will be speaking
Thursday, October 29, at 8:00 pm
92nd Street Y
1395 Lexington Avenue
For ticket information, visit the 92nd Street Y website.

A. S. Byatt
News, weather, Radiolab, Brian Lehrer and more.
Get the best of WNYC in your inbox, every morning.

Barbara from NYC

I believe the author she was referring to is Terry Pratchett, a British writer of fantasy or speculative fiction. His books are best sellers in the UK, but not as well known here.

Oct. 28 2009 04:28 PM
Lu

Does anyone know the author she mentioned when discussing Harry Potter? She said she is addicted to an author, who is more of a philosopher. I believe the first name was Jerry.

Oct. 28 2009 01:47 PM
Litza from Astoria

I'm almost through The Children's Book and have been delighted with its length and scope.

I've been wondering about the process of writing a book that follows its characters from childhood to adulthood -- was it necessary after the first draft to rewrite the children's behavior, based on the way their characters behaved as adults (or vice versa)? Or were their personalities and behavior so consistent in Ms. Byatt's mind that this wasn't necessary?

Oct. 28 2009 01:24 PM
Alison from Upper West Side

How does A.S. Byatt go about her writing? What are her strategies for mapping out the arc of the stories, character development, etc. Frequently, when I'm reading her novels I feel like she may be channeling some higher source.

Oct. 28 2009 01:24 PM
Mike C. from Tribeca

Thanks for having the wonderful Ms. Byatt on again. I always look forward to her contributions to the NY Review of Books.

Oct. 28 2009 01:22 PM
Mike from Brooklyn

The book she mentioned is The Magicians by Lev Grossman. Its worth a read, I loved it.

Oct. 28 2009 01:20 PM
Alison from Upper West Side

I love A.S. Byatt - Possession is in my top 10 of all time novels. Very much looking forward to reading The Children's Book. Thank you for having her on today - what a treat on this dreary day!

Oct. 28 2009 01:16 PM
Gretchen Elkins from Manhattan

I’m halfway through The Children’s Book, and enjoying it immensely—I hope there are no terrible spoilers in your discussion!

My questions: Has Ms. Byatt noticed any general differences between contemporary British novels and those written in the United States? Who are some of her fellow writers that she reads and admires?

Oct. 28 2009 12:59 PM