When Everything Changed

Wednesday, October 21, 2009

New York Times columnist Gail Collins talks about the progress women have made in the past 50 years. Her latest book, When Everything Changed: The Amazing Journey of Women from 1960 to the Present, covers the strides women have made and the minor setbacks they’ve experienced in the quest for equality.

Gail Collins

Al Fabrizio from London, England

It's confusing for new users to post the utube video so prominently above the play button for the interview. A couple of people I sent this to played the video, thinking that was the whole thing. Might want to think about placement in the future.
AF

Oct. 24 2009 03:39 PM
john from office

Len, did you have to make a stupid joke about the hoped for death of a recent president. Not all of your fans are Bush haters. It was in bad taste and beneath you.

Oct. 21 2009 02:09 PM
Jennifer from NYC

Bring home the bacon TV commercial was in the 1970's - not 80's

Oct. 21 2009 01:50 PM
JR from Brooklyn

Leonard, I am a big fan of your show, and I appreciate the topic, but you just raised the issue of providing "childcare for women." As far as I know, it requires men to make children, too. I understand what you meant, but your premise is flawed.

Oct. 21 2009 01:49 PM
Kristen Phillips from Brooklyn

I'm enjoying and learning a lot from this segment. I happen to be a flight attendant, something I've felt a bit "sheepish" about-- despite my college degree and the fact I am trilingual-- due to the old perception of the women in this career: unmarried, pretty, party girls. Perhaps I should research our role in the women's workplace movement and either have more pride, or do something to change the unfair reputation we've been "saddled" with.

Oct. 21 2009 01:46 PM
IVAN from NYC

Women are always in our life...they are wives,mothers, teachers,night and day workers,
wifes of policians and judges that created laws...My question is..How come they never get together to get what they want, since men can and could not do without women...obviously, women had power that they never used...
please explain.

Oct. 21 2009 01:20 PM
mozo from nyc

I think it's fair to say given the present state of the economy, we're all miserable now.

Oct. 21 2009 01:18 PM
Kas from Brooklyn

Here's another one...women who were doctors were so rare when I was growing up [I'm 57] that they were not called, "doctors." They were called, "lady doctors," as in, "When I grow up I'd like to be a lady doctor."

Oct. 21 2009 01:16 PM
Betty Anne from UES

I have two questions/comments:

1. We hear about how men treated women, but what about how women treat women in the workplace?

2. You spoke about dishwashers and such but what about birth control?

Oct. 21 2009 01:12 PM
Kas from Brooklyn

My favorite symbol of the way things used to be was from the classifieds of my hometown Cincinnati Enquirer..."Help Wanted, Male," and "Help Wanted, Female." I like shocking younger women with that one!

Oct. 21 2009 12:04 PM