The Pleasures of Cooking for One

Monday, October 19, 2009

The legendary cookbook editor Judith Jones, who edited Julia Child’s Mastering the Art of French Cooking, among other great cookbooks, talks about how to make the most out of cooking for yourself. Her book The Pleasures of Cooking for One includes advice from great cooks and includes basic recipes, tips, and strategies for enjoying cooking and eating by yourself.

Judith Jones

jen p from atlantic highlands, nj

of course, i could be wrong too...

Oct. 19 2009 02:21 PM
jen p from atlantic highlands, nj

sometimes I am surprised by Leonard Lopate's strange or incorrect references. (once said andalucia was northern spain??)

sometimes his guests correct him but others don't, like today. the potato dish she was describing was not like spanish tortilla, which is an egg and potato dish. her version was more like a pommes anna, with no egg. (unless i missed the part where she described adding egg).

also, some americans in the "west" (i think it is more like midwest) eat pork brains, not beef.

I have great respect for Mr Lopate and listen to him often, which is why it surprises and annoys me when he says makes these incorrect statements, which make him seem less knowledgeable than i thought.

Oct. 19 2009 02:12 PM
annie from Bronx

I listen to your show a lot. I am a sustaining member @ $5/mo. Yes, it's nothing to a star like you, but it's what I can afford.

Oct. 19 2009 02:01 PM
Kim from Harlem

Mrs. Jones is on the mark. I have fantasized about opening a store that caters to people who cook for 1. Yes, you can freeze herbs, but when you have a dish that calls for 2-3 kinds of fresh herbs, you have to add the time involved with washing and freezing them properly. Plus, there are some dishes in which frozen just won't do. What I wouldn't give to buy herbs by the sprig!

Plus my freezer is full of all of the other things I have to freeze because as a single, I don't eat them fast enough: Gluten free bread, milk, cuts of meat/bacon . . .

Oct. 19 2009 01:58 PM
Adriana Velez from Brooklyn, NY

I enjoyed this interview with Judith Jones overall, but I take issue with something she said. "People who want to roast a chicken just Google it, and they get 20 recipes, and they don't know which ones are good." (I'm paraphrasing.)

If you follow food blogs you eventually do learn which ones are good and which recipes you can trust. There's more recipe testing going on behind the scenes, in bloggers' kitchens and in readers' kitchens.

Oct. 19 2009 01:56 PM
Mary from Brooklyn

When you Google "roasting a chicken", gourmet.com is on the first page of results. Epicurious.com is second. I think young cooks can use digital tools and still be loyal to trusted brands.

Oct. 19 2009 01:54 PM
mozo from nyc

Sadly, more and more people really don't cook anymore outside of the listeners (I cook for myself and came from a restaurant background). Cooking is slowly becoming a endeavour for those who have the time and inclination for it. A lot of the US would rather get fast food, the consumption of which has been steadily increasing since the late 80's and has recently spiked due to the economy.

Oct. 19 2009 01:54 PM
Yvette from New York

I brought my mother's gigantic cast iron pot with me from the Netherlands. The idea of making the same dishes she made for us and being able to do the same for my family was enough of a enticement to schlep it with me from Holland.

Oct. 19 2009 01:25 PM
SuzanneNYC from Upper West Side

I also enjoy cooking for myself. With respect to herbs -- you can freeze them easily! I buy that big fresh bunch of parsley (or dill or basil) and then I chop it up and put in a quart zip lock bag (and another one to prevent freezer burn) and then into the freezer where it keeps nicely. I just made an omlette last night with parsely and dill. Delicious!

Oct. 19 2009 01:18 PM
Meg Scarpetta from Connecticut

Jones is wonderful! I like the "round 1, round 2" concept which reminds me of my mother-in-law's version "a lot of nice things", leftovers that are always delicious!

Oct. 19 2009 01:13 PM