Looking In: Robert Frank's The Americans

Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Photographer Robert Frank and Jeff Rosenheim, curator of The Metropolitan Museum of Art’s Department of Photographs, discuss "Looking In: Robert Frank's The Americans," celebrating the 50th anniversary of the publication of The Americans, Robert Frank’s suite of black-and-white photographs made during a cross-country road trip in 1955–1956. The exhibition also includes contact sheets that Frank used to create the book; photographs made in Europe, Peru, and New York; and a short film he made on his life. "Looking In: Robert Frank's The Americans" is on view at Metropolitan Museum of Art through January 3, 2010. More information about the exhibition and its public programs is available here.

An exhibition of some of Robert Franks's photographs are also on view at the Robert Mann Gallery in Chelsea.

The documentary about The Americans, "An American Journey," directed by Philippe Seclier is playing at Film Forum September 30th through October 6th. More information and tickets here.

Robert Frank and Jeff Rosenheim,

Jessica Flores from Queens, NY

I saw this exhibit in San Francisco over the summer and loved it. I can't wait to see it with my significant other here in New York City. I just know he'll love every piece.

Dec. 02 2009 12:37 PM
donald moder from Bronx

Good interview Leonard. Not an easy interview by any means. Frank was not always forthcoming and you maneuvered very well. Having already seen the exhibit, I could tell in your interview how intensely interested and knowledgeable you were on the subject.

Sep. 29 2009 07:10 PM
KZ from NYC

Congratulations on a wonderful show at the Met.

I loved looking at all contact sheets and the letters.

Sep. 29 2009 01:50 PM
Ken from UWS

Did his arrest in Arkansas change the tone of his subsequent shooting at all?

Sep. 29 2009 01:48 PM
Ken from UWS

There is one contact sheet that reveals that he shot two of the greatest shots in the book (one the cover shot) within four frames of one another, in New Orleans. Unreal. Does he have any comment on that?

Sep. 29 2009 01:45 PM
micheal mclaughlin from brooklyn

The Americans is timeless. I always wondered if Robert developed film along the way as he traveled, in hotel rooms, or did he wait until returning to NY?

Sep. 29 2009 01:42 PM
Ken from UWS

Ask him how he got access to that black funeral, in South Carolina, I think.

Sep. 29 2009 01:41 PM
Brian from Bronxville, NY

I saw Mr. Frank’s remarkable show at The Metropolitan Museum of Art over the weekend and one of the things that struck me most was the relationship between the pictures taken in America or Europe and the pictures taken in Peru. Having traveled to Peru about 2 years ago I noticed that Frank’s photographs from over 50 years ago could have been taken yesterday—the people, their cloths, and how they appear to live is unchanged in the rural areas Frank appears to have been shooting in. The pictures from shot in America and Europe, however, show a time that is no more. There’s an obvious evolution in our culture (clothes, hairstyles, automobiles) that hasn’t occurred in other parts of the world.

Sep. 29 2009 01:35 PM