The View from the Bridge

Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Writer and director Nicholas Meyer shares his account of the making of three classic "Star Trek" films, including "STII: The Wrath of Khan." In his book The View from the Bridge, he explains that he’d never been interested in "Star Trek" until he was brought on board to save the film series, and tells some old Hollywood tales.

Nicholas Meyer
News, weather, Radiolab, Brian Lehrer and more.
Get the best of WNYC in your inbox, every morning.

Roy

Being an aspiring screenwriter, I liked Mr. Meyer's assesment with the motion picture industry. Too much junk and not enough future classics are being made. I'm suprised there are some good stuff that came out this year like "Sunshine Cleaning", "Inglorious Basterds" and even "Watchmen".

Sep. 16 2009 03:53 PM
K. Kilgallen from N.J.

I hope you will not abandon your pursuit of "The Deptford trilogy" project.

Sep. 16 2009 12:55 PM
Douglas Wood from New York, New York

Goodness...I meant "Spock"

Sep. 16 2009 12:49 PM
Douglas Wood from New York, New York

Question for Mr. Meyer: Was the death of Spoke in the original script for ST2? Favorite ST2 Khan quote: "That's better..now tell me...why are you here? And tell me..where I might find...James KIRK!!!!!! "

Sep. 16 2009 12:46 PM
antonio from park slope

Kind of like "revenge is a dish best served cold.." "very cold in spaceee.."

Sep. 16 2009 12:34 PM
Chris Thumann from Scotch Plains, NJ

Favorite ST 2 quote: "It was the best of times, it was the worst of times."

Hey, wait a minute...

Sep. 16 2009 12:21 PM
Chris Thumann

Three Star Trek movies? What's the third? I just count two: Star Treks 2 and 6.

Sep. 16 2009 12:19 PM
antonio from park slope

Has Mr. Meyers been contacted by J.J. Abrams? I heard that he may explore revisiting that story line.

favorite line in ST II, Kirk yelling "Khan!!!!!!!!!!"

Sep. 16 2009 12:05 PM