Please Explain: Neurofeedback

Friday, August 21, 2009

Neurofeedback is a method of training the brain by monitoring brain activity with sensors. Individuals can see their brain activity on a screen in real time and learn to regulate it themselves, in order to "train" their brain to perform specific tasks more efficiently. We’ll hear about how it works with Dr. Sarah H. Lisanby, Director of the Division of Brain Stimulation & Therapeutic Modulation, Professor of Clinical Psychiatry, Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons, New York State Psychiatric institute, and Dr. M. Barry Sterman, Professor Emeritus with the Department of Neurobiology and Biobehavioral Psychiatry at the David Geffen School of Medicine, UCLA.

luckyparker from Westchester Cty

Is effective, affordable neurofeedback or TMS available to treat garden variety depression and/or OCD symptoms, anxiety. Does insurance cover any of it?
Also, are home versions effective?
Please forgive me if I missed this on the show - I did miss a small part of it.
Thank you.

Aug. 22 2009 08:31 AM
Larry Lewis from Manhattan

For more info on neurofeedback: isnr.org /EEGinfo.com/ eegspectrum.com

For list of certified neurofeedback practitioners: bcia.org

Or contact me: Larry Lewis
212 697 5990

Aug. 21 2009 07:13 PM
Sarah H Lisanby, MD from Columbia University, New York, NY

In answer to the question about where Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation (TMS) is available in the New York area, Columbia Psychiatry has an active clinical and research program using TMS. For more information, you may call our clinic line at 212-543-5767, email us at depression@columbia.edu, or see the following websites:

Aug. 21 2009 04:13 PM
marvin from Plymouth Meeting PA and NYC

I'm not finding a way to download this segment. There are links to play the other parts of the show but not this one. Am I missing something?
thanks.

Aug. 21 2009 03:26 PM
Zara Lawler from Manhattan

I'm writing post-show, in the off chance that these comments will get forwarded to the guests and maybe answered.

I was wondering if there is any study of how this all ties in with meditation practices? In some ways, for example, the left-right hemisphere balancing for depression treatment sounds a bit like a short-cut to one of the benefits of meditation, that being the integration and balance of the various different parts of the self/mind.

Aug. 21 2009 02:12 PM
Daphna from Upper West Side

Does neurofeedback or brain stimulation treatment replace chemical therapy or work in tandem with it? In particular, how would such treatment be used to treat HDHD?

Aug. 21 2009 01:57 PM
David Cooper from Brooklyn

Where is trans-cranial magnetic stimulation therapy available in New York City? Can the guests list specific clinics or practices?

Aug. 21 2009 01:55 PM
Dano from Kearny

Back in 1992 I was punched in the temple by a guy who was a furniture mover - cvery strong - and had momentum behind the punch when he ran from the sidewalk to attack me while I was getting out of my patrol car. The punch knocked me out standing up, fell to the street and cracked my head on the street and then the guy continued to box my head about before the back-up officers could get to him. I have a concussion from the left side of the foreheadf to the left occiptal. I still have the symptoms all these years later...those being very bad headacvhes, VERY light sensitive, stabbing pains in forhead...and more. What can be going on after all these years?

(PS - this injury not only knocked me out but knocked my profession as a police officer from under me.)

Aug. 21 2009 01:53 PM
Sonia Jaffe Robbins from Manhattan

re migraines: some years ago I read about a feedback study in which migraine sufferers concentrated on making their hands feel hot as soon as they felt the onset of a migraine, and about a third of them had good results. I tried this, and after about 6 months, I was able to prevent the headache from developing. My guess was that I was redirecting blood flow away from my head toward the extremities. The trick was to pay attention to the first pangs of the headache or the aura of tightness, and then close my eyes and imagine flames sweeping down my arms toward my hands.

Aug. 21 2009 01:53 PM
andreia from Denville NJ

does home neurofeedback kits work?

Aug. 21 2009 01:52 PM
Joe from Englewood, nj

Is it true that some of the brain wave interface systems are actually monitoring myopotentials?

Aug. 21 2009 01:44 PM