20 Minute Meals with Mark Bittman

Thursday, August 13, 2009

New York Times columnist and blogger Mark Bittman stops by to talk about his latest cook book Kitchen Express: 404 Inspired Seasonal Dishes You Can Make in 20 Minutes or Less. You can view some of Bittman's recipies from the book here.

Mark Bittman
News, weather, Radiolab, Brian Lehrer and more.
Get the best of WNYC in your inbox, every morning.

Sandra from Astoria, Queens

I love Mark Bittman!

I will have to pick this up for my roommate, who taunts me to no end by winging recipes on the spot.

I love to cook too, but I'm pretty anal when it comes to following recipes down to a T.

We both end up with pretty good results though. Just different approaches and personality traits.

Aug. 13 2009 12:32 PM
Barry from today, in the Adirondacks

I see several people have added remote cooking suggestions. We have a rice cooker with a brown rice setting that has a timer that can be set 12 hours in advance. To come home to a pot of fresh warm rice is a great inspiration for the rest of a meal.

Aug. 13 2009 12:31 PM
Caitlin from Jersey City

404: measurements not found!

Aug. 13 2009 12:26 PM
Diana

Maybe this is silly, but I would love to have an updated The Joy of Cooking with pictures for every recipe.

Aug. 13 2009 12:24 PM
Suki from Williamsburg

Also - slow cookers or crockpots. I have a Caribbean chicken curry on right now while I'm here at work. Dinner will be ready by the time I get home.

Aug. 13 2009 12:19 PM
Suki from Williamsburg

I am such a fan of Mr. Bittman's.

One suggestion for making big batches or rice or dry beans: invest in a good pressure cooker. Mine is an invaluable tool in my kitchen.

Aug. 13 2009 12:18 PM
Yvette from Barcelona

I am here in Barcelona eating the most delicious tapas. Have you ever made the salted shrimp they have here, they seem fairly simple; but I would love to know how to make this fast. Looking forward to seeing your recipes.

Gracias

Yvette

Aug. 13 2009 12:16 PM
anonyme

like you learn in art school you need to know the rules before you an play with them. Chefs spend time geting trained and traditions do mean something - to nutrition.

Aug. 13 2009 12:14 PM