Gangs in Garden City

Wednesday, July 15, 2009

In her book Gangs of Garden City, journalist Sarah Garland follows the migration of two Central American gangs (Mara Salvatrucha and 18th Street) from El Salvador to Los Angeles and finally to suburbs of Hempstead, Long Island.

Sarah Garland

LW from Long Island

if anyone has any information they could give me about girls and their involvement in gangs on Long Island, please contact me at wliza89@yahoo.com. I'm working on a story, and it would be completely anonymous. I would just like to get some accurate info. Thanks.

Feb. 12 2010 12:17 PM
m l cohen from Bay Shore

Living in a community adjacent to Brentwood where there was a gang fight yesterday (newsday), I found her comments naive and assumptions about all gangs on long island to be inaccurate....and I was surprised you seemed to encourage this line of musings...but then I live here with 40% poverty in our schools and work to keep out any gang or wantabe gang kids ...my community is safe but NOT wealthy! Its constant vigilance that allows us to educate kids from diverse backgrounds! I must say I was insulted by the two of you talking about Long Island without really understanding the issues we confront!

Jul. 16 2009 01:40 PM
P. Jones from Hampton Roads

Well...I guess I'd rather get attacked by a Snapple bottle than even more sophisticated means! Good to know they support American business, because we all know that's the most important thing.

What's overlooked here is the complicity of American business. Day laborers, farmhands and other ventures acquire their services, then drops them off on the most defenseless of neighborhoods who have yet to deal with their own pathologies. I'd like to see the contractors response to rising crime statistics in their neighborhoods, because I'm sure the apathetic response of "neighborhood revitalization" would be of little solace to those living in say...Oyster Bay or Long Beach.

Jul. 15 2009 04:17 PM
ivan from nyc

ROBERT,
I THINK THAT SHE USES "GARDEN CITY" TO SELL HER BOOK...THAT'S EXACTLY WHY YOU BOUGHT IT..IF SHE HAD SAID "GANGS IN HEMSPTEAD"..YOU
WILL NOT READ THE BOOK.

Jul. 15 2009 12:32 PM
rylee from manhattan

To explain: I live in the area, hispanic and not affiliated with a gang, but understand the dynamics of the situation. Hempstead=poor, Garden City=affluent. Need money to live, have no education, or training and not able to be hired , no family structure due to parents working irregular hours/in nonstandard jobs=not much support for achievement. Nearest suburb looks like a good target for $$. therefore gangs in Garden City sell drugs, do breakins and prey on the population which doesn't understand care to deal with the dynamics "Me first culture in rampant on both sides==one to survive and other to thrive.

Jul. 15 2009 12:30 PM
Robert from Garden City, New York

Yes. I'm almost done reading her book. Why did she title it "Gangs in Garden City" when most of it is about Hempstead?

Jul. 15 2009 12:24 PM
ivan from nyc

I DO NOT UNDERSTAND THE TITLE OF HER BOOK.
GARDEN CITY IS ONE OF THE MOST EXPENSIVE PLACE TO LIVE IN L.I....HEMSPTEAD IS ONE OF THE POOREST NEIGHBORHOOD IN L.I..THEY JUST HAPPEN TO BE NEXT TO EACH OTHER...SO, WHERE ARE THE GANGS?

Jul. 15 2009 12:16 PM