Phillip Lopate's Essays

Monday, July 13, 2009

Phillip Lopate, Leonard's brother, discusses brotherhood and his essay in the anthology Brothers: 26 Stories of Love and Rivalry. He'll also discuss his series of essays on the achievements and limitations of Susan Sontag, looking at her significance to him personally and to the culture at large, in his book Notes on Sontag.

Phillip Lopate

jj

ps -- 8 -- hilarious / probably true!

Jul. 14 2009 08:17 PM
jj

great stuff -- you guys are so cute!

Jul. 14 2009 08:15 PM
Rosalind Hinton from New York and Chicago

I teach at DePaul in Chicago, and actually went to Phillip's talk thinking I had read Leonard on the poster. I live both in NYC and Chicago, but was missing NYC terrably, and listen to Leonard's show in NYC. I was surprised by my error, but spent one of the most delightful hours in a very, very long time listening to Philip's thoughts on the American Essay, and his reading from his anthology. I bought the book, and have so enjoyed it. He mentioned his next work was on Susan Sontag, who actually lived above me in a NYC penthouse. I simply gawked in the elevator. I have now enjoyed another great hour of the brothers' interchange, and perspectives on writing, poetry, and Sontag's work. I now know there are two of you. Thank you both.

Rosalind

Jul. 13 2009 02:00 PM
Not Lopate from Manhattan

Did he just say "hawny...if you will"? Is that even allowed on public radio?
I am enjoying this interview but probably for all the wrong reasons ....Is there a granny lopate who played the piano in vaudeville times or a mean Uncle Louie Lopate who ran bootlegging during prohibition?

Jul. 13 2009 01:57 PM
Not Lopate from Manhattan

I never heard of him but his last name sure is familiar! He claims he is accomplished but jeez anybody could write a book. I don't get this other Lopate - he seems pretty mellow - can you elaborate on the entire cast of characters from the Lopate Clan?

Jul. 13 2009 01:54 PM
Kenny - Interesting ! from Hackensack

your bro has a worse Brooklyn or jersey city accent than you - no wonder he became the writer.
Also can you bring up some of the funny remarks that are now starting to appear on the page - we could all enjoy a good laugh... at our loveable host's expense!

Jul. 13 2009 01:49 PM
George Bendemann from All in family now

Did I hear correctly that one of his epics was "Self Portrait of My Body"

Lenny - can we not go there....please!

Come awn, now ! Would this guy have been on your show if his name was Bob Smith?

Help...where's the WNYC ombudsman?!!!!!!!!!!!

Jul. 13 2009 01:47 PM
kamal from Bronx

agreed - this is an interesting interview---

Jul. 13 2009 01:38 PM
kai from NJ-NYC

Nepotism, to some extent, is fine as long as it contains quality and competency. I believe that this is the case for the brothers Lopate.

Jul. 13 2009 01:34 PM
plp from queens

I love your show but wonder if this is nepotism??

Jul. 13 2009 01:17 PM
Yvonne from new york

A sensitive personal topic - brothers' love versus rivalry. What makes one brother write an essay like this and the other not, assuming you both were asked to do so?

Are you both about the same size?

Jul. 13 2009 12:49 PM