Shrek the Musical

Thursday, July 09, 2009

David Lindsay-Abaire, who wrote the book and lyrics, and Jeanine Tesori, who wrote the music for "Shrek the Musical," talk about the Broadway production, based on the story and characters from William Steig's book Shrek!, as well as the DreamWorks Animation film "Shrek," the first of the "Shrek" movie series. "Shrek the Musical" is playing at the Broadway Theatre. More information and tickets here.

David Lindsay-Abaire and Jeanine Tesori,
News, weather, Radiolab, Brian Lehrer and more.
Get the best of WNYC in your inbox, every morning.

Caroline from Nashville, TN

"I know its Today...oooooooo....." I love waking up and having this song in my head. I love the ray of hope it gives along not to mention the catchy tune.

Jul. 09 2009 06:38 PM
Brad

I had a fantastic time when I went to see Shrek the Musical last month. I thought the music was great and varied and the lyrics were quite witty.

I was a huge fan of the set and costume design - it looked as if the swamp and all of the fairytale creatures had popped right off the screen and onto the stage.

I loved the guy who played Shrek, and Sutton Foster was amazing and funny as usual.

The show did have its week points but overall I had a great time at the theater and more importantly my nephew enjoyed the show.

Jul. 09 2009 06:37 PM
Trevor from NYC

Great interview!

I saw Shrek on Broadway last month and had a really great time. The writers had a tough job in adapting a well-known film to the stage, and they did a much better job than other recent screen-to-stage musicals at striking a balance between paying homage to the movie while creating an original work. Kudos!

Jul. 09 2009 06:36 PM
C from NYC

Rabbit Hole was one of the worst plays I have ever seen. Poor, melodramatic writing that lacked specificity or depth. I was horrified when it won a Pulitzer - it would seem that just like the academy awards, perhaps the pulizers are dumbing down too. Great plays don't manipulate your emotions and steer you towards melodrama - they allow the inherent emotion of situations to work on you, to your own emotional response. The good parts? The kid with a very small part at the end of the play - as well as Tyne Daly - I'd watch her read a phone book.

Jul. 09 2009 01:01 PM
judy from NYC

If Next To Normal can be a musical, why not Rabbit Hole?

Jul. 09 2009 12:58 PM
Walter from NY

Please, Leonard. We rely upon your judgment. This play is a rehash, almost word for word, of the movie, which is funnier. The worst waste of money that one can experience in the theater.

Jul. 09 2009 12:58 PM