Please Explain: Bees

Friday, June 12, 2009

The honeybees is just one species of bee, and they often get the most attention, but there are an estimated 20,000 different species of bees in the world. Bees play an important role in pollinating plants, and many have highly developed methods of socialization and communication. We'll learn all about bees, and the latest on Colony Collapse Disorder, with Bryan Danforth, professor of entomology at Cornell University, and Maryann Frazier, senior extension associate in the Department of Entomology at Penn State University.

Bryan Danforth, and Maryann Frazier

MP from Brooklyn

Read "The Beekeeper's Lament" by Hannah Nordhaus

Fascinating!

Jun. 09 2011 02:04 PM
feli from bronx ny

i noticed a large quantity of bees when i went to the bronx zoo even at the local park. is there any particular reason why?

Sep. 01 2009 07:57 PM
Kevin Matteson from Bronx, NY

Anyone interested in bees in NYC should check out www.greatpollinatorproject.org. This local NY initiative is looking for New Yorkers to submit data on bees in backyards, community or rooftop gardens, or parks to help understand urban bee populations!

Jun. 13 2009 12:55 PM
Liz

Is there an MP3 available for this?

The Lopate Show responds: The MP3 of this segment will be available later this afternoon.

Jun. 12 2009 02:03 PM
Dorleen from Oakland, NJ

I had a large hive in my yard (in the hollow of a tree)last summer, but there are no longer bees there this year. What could have hppened to them? Do bees move on?
The honeycombs have been pulled out by, I assume, squirrels, but I think that happened after the bees went away.

Jun. 12 2009 01:57 PM
Amy from Manhattan

A fellow shopper at--& former employee of--Integral Yoga Natural Foods told me he thinks beekeeping practices like feeding honeybees sugar water instead of leaving them some of their own honey to eat, suppressing swarms, & artificially breeding queens are contributing to colony collapse. He referred me to an article in The Valley Table, "What the Bee Said" (at http://www.farmingmagazine.net/Articles/What%20the%20Bees%20Said%20PartII.pdf; I couldn't find Part I). Are the guests familiar w/this idea, & what do they think of it?

Jun. 12 2009 01:46 PM
Chelsea from Austin, TX

Bk-
Carpenter bees may be similar to carpenter ants- which we have here in Central Texas. Carpenter ants push their dead fellow carpenter ants into little holes in wood- essentially creating little tombs. But sometimes it gets crammed. :)

Jun. 12 2009 01:46 PM
ken from brooklyn

sew doubt? perhaps...

i should add that i've no reason to think their work is compromised but bee research in general has been flooded by Bayer AG - not for the purest of reasons it seems....

Jun. 12 2009 01:42 PM
John from Annandale, NJ

Could use of specific pesticides be the source of bee disappearance and general ill health?

Jun. 12 2009 01:38 PM
ken from brooklyn

Are either of their work sponsored by Bayer AG - the German chemical company?????

Because Bayer AG is spending allot of money to sow doubt about the fact that their treated plant seeds is a prime suspect in the kill-offs - (they make the bees "drunk" and can't get back to their hives...)

What is the guests' relationship to Bayer AG????

Jun. 12 2009 01:36 PM
Eve Vaterlaus from New City

Are the Russian honeybees sturdier than the Italian, and are they feistier?
I seem to need the veil more with the Russians, they sting more?

Jun. 12 2009 01:31 PM
Eve Vaterlaus from New City

My honeybees look very good today!!
When the sun shines they hurry out.

Jun. 12 2009 01:30 PM
Michael

Is there any connection between genetically modified crops, which tend to have lower nutritional value, and ccd?

Jun. 12 2009 01:29 PM
Kevin from Wayne, NJ

I've heard about New Yorkers that bee-keep on their roofs. What are the challenges and advantages of small scale personal beekeeping, especially in an urban environment?

Jun. 12 2009 12:54 PM
anon from Staten Island

1) Do all bees have stingers, and is bee venom as virulent as the wasps?
2) What is the proper way to deal with a ball of bees, or who should be called if one is spotted?
3) Is that really large, slow flying thing that LOOKS like the traditional bumblebee representation in cartoons and children's books a true bee?

Jun. 12 2009 12:10 PM
bk from nyc

Could you please talk about the Carpenter Bees?
I live in an old, un-restored loft building in Tribeca - last summer I saw huge bees hovering at the window sill for a month or two. Then I started finding dead bees on the ledge (& the street right below.) I kept one to try & figure out what it was. Eventually I saw a bee hovering at the sill & then disappear INTO the old wooden sill. When I looked closely I discovered a perfectly round hole (about 1" in diam.) going up into the sill. I freaked a bit & got some compound & plugged it up. What is that about??

Jun. 12 2009 11:11 AM